1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Accuracy off on Y axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathanfish, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

So i'm still having issues with my prints being off dimensionally on the Y axis. This is the latest print i made and i'm coming up .100" short on the Y axis over 12.5". A lot of the other measurements come in very accurate but with the Y axis being off now my hole locations are .050" off. I basically have to ream the holes, measure where they need to be and then indicate them in to move them to the correct spot. I am pulling my hair out as to why it is doing this because every test cube i've printed has been right on the money. I can't imagine it's the PETG shrinking because it only seems to be on the Y axis.

I'm loading up a 6" test cube to print right now but just looking for any ideas or suggestions because right now i have no leads.

Originally my problem was i had the wrong Y axis belt but i put on the correct 2GT, printed a test cube that came in good and went with it. Now i'm realizing something is still wrong.

Thanks-

OK so i just printed the first few layers of a 150mm test cube and it came out within .02mm on X and Y. Could this be some kind of scaling problem with my STL files?

Attached Files:

#1 Nathanfish, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I have an idea. Since my large models come in small and i have to scale them from mm to inches i'm wondering if instead of scaling 0.0393701 inches per mm Simplify3d is rounding to .039 which would make my model just a bit shorter.

On second thought, from the looks of it it just multiplies it 25.4x to scale to inches so that theory wouldn't make sense. I sent an email to Simplify so i'll see what they have to say.

Alright, the more i look into it i'm thinking this is a CATIA saving issue.

#2 Nathanfish, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have found the only way to get consistent results is to model in the correct (or destination) units be that Metric or SAE.
    Then once you know how the printer prints (what tolerance it exhibits) you can nail whatever spec you are aiming for,

WheresWaldo likes this.
  4. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Everything we do in Catia is SAE and most of the small stuff will open SAE in Simplify but over a certain size and it will read inches as MM and open it up small, not sure what the cutoff is or if it's simplify or the way Catia saves the STL that is causing it. I think it i figured out how to change the settings in Catia to export from .1 to .01 so i'm going to load up this new file i saved in Simplify and HOPE that makes the difference. I really only have +-.015" to play with but obviously the closer the better.

All this time i thought it was a problem with my machine..

Thanks for the input.

5. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Well that did nothing.. Still opens in Simplify3d small and scales to the same size

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Worst case open a support ticket with them. They are pretty responsive and extremely knowledgeable.

8. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I went ahead and emailed them. This is all i've found online so I adjusted my settings in catia per this-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The accuracy of the STL file depends on the Display accuracy. First set the display accuracy.
    1. Tools > Options...
      1. In the tree select General > Display
      2. select the Performance tab
      3. Under 3D Accuracy select Fixed
      4. Set to 0.02 mm (0.0008 in)
      5. Adjust Curves' accuracy ratio to 0.2
      6. OK
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I saved a new STL file after i changed these settings, opened the New STL and the old STL in simplify3d and they are identical. I thought maybe this was giving me a rounding error when saving and multiplying it by 25.4 to get the correct size was throwing my models off by the .050" over 12". So now i'm back to square one. We also have Geomagic at work so i saved the catia model as a .STP file and converted it to an STL in Geomagic with no luck either. I can't understand how a test print can come within .02-.03mm at 150mm but the models i create are coming out off. I guess i'll see what Simplify support has to say.