1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Abs learning & Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Truerobotech, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

[​IMG]

This image is of the sme print white is PLA and the Red is ABS. The tabs on the abs snapped with little pressure the white pla has flexed and stayed strong.

Pla is printed at 210 & 60 abs is printed at 235 & 80

Isthis just an issue with the model when printed in abs? Anyway to improve this or get similar properties with the abs?

I am just considering changing the model to have a half ring instead of tabs is this my best option?

#1 Truerobotech, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah you'll have pretty weak bonds on those tabs with most any material.

PETg will probably offer the strongest bond strength for something like that

Truerobotech likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes PETG would be a good idea, or perhaps... a type of nylon since it will have some flex. Not sure what you other material requirements are.

Truerobotech and Mike Kelly like this.
  4. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Thanks @Mike Kelly and @mark tomlinson sorry for the delayed reply I was able to get over here and see your post (plus like them). I had a feeling the problem was poor layer adhesion, after a second slower print and bit higher temp I had the same fails. Everything is actually melded real well. In the end I changed the print orientation of the object, as a result layers went from being horizintal which was the same as the application of force to a vertical layer direction.

Upside I appear to now have the strength need downside some quality was lost but it can be remedied in minutes with light sanding and a vapor bath.

ABS has been pretty good to work with, but the translucent is tricky due to random snapping, my first order of translucent wouldnt go more than a few minutes with out snapping, and so far this translucent red (not used on the one in the picture) has held out. But just leaving it in the machine overnight I found it snapped this morning and it snaps right below the bolt, uh typing this maybe I have my filament screws to tight ill check and report back.