1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Z rod bent- Banding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JuanPinto, Feb 5, 2016.

1. JuanPinto

JuanPinto New Member

Hey guys, I am getting bad Z banding/ribbing on my prints

Robo +plus, no mods besides LCD.

What is the best way to fix this? Do I need new Z rods. I can physically see that one of the is bent a little, I even threw a straight edge to it. When the rod spins it moves about 1 inch back and forth

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If it truly bent contact Robo directly, they do not frequent the forum. Otherwise some of that is the result of Robo not optimizing the acceleration values in Marlin firmware. Take a look at this video and see if you can make your own improvements, the numbers you get will be for your specific setup and while they may work on other Robo's calibration is really about getting your printer to work the best it possibly can.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah looks like a bad lead screw. Submit a replacement part request

4. JuanPinto

JuanPinto New Member

Hey guys, I was able to get a replacement in no time from the manufacturer, and for the most it looks pretty good, i am still noticing some very very very small wobble, Could there be anything else causing maybe a straight screw to begin shifting. anything Software related? Is this a common problem at taller heights?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It won't move 100% perfectly straight but a slight wobble shouldn't have a strong impact. I suggest the Make Z resonance test scaled on the Z to max print height to test.

I also find it's a good idea to test the lead screws for straightness outside the printer, but if they're already installed that's a bit of a pain.