1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder stepper motor Stuck

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JuanPinto, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuanPinto

JuanPinto New Member

Info.
    Robo 3D R1 Plus (new model)
    XXL LCD Screen
    No jam or clog
    All wires properly connected

Stepper motor for the extruder is skipping, two gear wheels not rotating. Could it be a bad stepper motor? Any suggestions?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Under warranty you should contact Robo directly.

I would suspect either the stepper driver for the extruder stepper motor is bad or not tuned correctly or that something is binding the gears.

You could check the latter by powering down the robo and opening up the filament feed (remove sprint loaded scews) and filament and then manually try to turn the feed gear. If it turns smoothly then something is wrong with the stepper or the electronics to it. Try tuning the stepper driver for the extruder.

Steppers are pretty robust so I would suspect it last, but they do go bad occasionally.

3. JuanPinto

JuanPinto New Member

Definitely under warranty, I have removed all the filament from the extruder and disabled all the stepper motors and at that point the gears turn smoothly, it is only the I command it through the LCD that it makes the ticking noise and does not rotate. The printer is only a week old and was running fine for the last week, it began right in the middle of a print and now does not turn.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. JuanPinto

JuanPinto New Member

Thanks guys!

6. Brock_L

Brock_L New Member

I'll revive an older post. I had this same problem. Except the motor decided to cut out during a print. I looked around and found out the green wire to the stepper motor got snapped off somehow. So it could either be a stepper motor or the wiring to it.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  7. 2brosmanufacturing

2brosmanufacturing New Member

I just had the same issue with my r1 plus, half way through a print and it sounded like the gears where stripping, took the gears off and the stepper motor did the same thing and now wont work at all. Swapped the motor conections around and my board is cooked on the EO port

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This is a fairly common issue. The green wire is the furthest on the chain and they don't give a lot of wire slack. Good advice to check that, especially if the motor moves a little or makes strange noises.

9. Brock_L

Brock_L New Member

When you cooked the E0 port, did you have to replace the entire Arduino or was there a fix?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Probably just the RAMPS board worst case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.