1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved problem heated bed max temp error (shows 222°c)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wesleybelgium, Feb 14, 2016.

1. wesleybelgium

wesleybelgium New Member

I have max temp error with the heated bed

the thermistor readings in simplify3d and mattercontrol show : bed temp 222 °celcius

so looked into this , swapped the thermal sensor under the heating bed , but the problem

dit not go away , the error message keeps showing up

this error was started when i started a print and after 3 hour of printing the printer stopped printing

when i looked at the print , the printer was locked , i could not move the axis , nothing works

so i have turned it off and on again , rebooted pc , reconnect cable , tried to re-flash the arduino with v3 firmware ( have robo 3d r1 ) nothing worked

so i had swapped the thermal sensor , tested the sensor , it worked when i connected the same type sensor to the extruder , but the heated bed keeps showing 222 °c

it looks like it was the board , so i swapped the board ( what is on top of the ramps board ) with a new one ( i did this before last year when there was also some problems )

any suggestions ?

For the moment I'm completely out of ideas...

if you look the history i already did on this machine : swap board , replace thermal sensors , replace hot-end with better model e3d , got a busted cable of the heated bed ( from constantly pushing up and down it was cracked the cable , edited this also so that the broken part was fixed , all this history i did already gives me the idea that this is a trouble child machine , there keeps popping up new problems

for the moment we cannot print anything anymore , the heated bed keeps on 222°c

thanks for any advice

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Lift the wires from the RAMPS and read the thermistor all the way back to the bed and see what resistance it reads using an ohmeter or multimeter (on a resistance scale appropriate for 100k ohms). If you do not get about 100k then you still have a problem with the thermistor OR the wires going back to it.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

BTW: the thermistor connects directly to the RAMPS board (the one on the top if you flip the printer upside down).
    The RAMPS is a shield for the Arduino Mega board (the one on the bottom).

4. wesleybelgium

wesleybelgium New Member

i will check today this , but we have already swapped the connector on the board with a new cable where we directly connected a new thermal sensor on , so the original wire was disconnected and we have connected a fresh new cable with a new thermal sensor on the back connected to , the results keep the same , thermal readings on software say : 222 degrees , max temp warning heated bed , we have also checked with the extruder thermal sensor , this says : room tempature 20 °c , but when we swap this plug on to the connector for the heated bed it keeps saying : 222 °c , and the extruder sensor says 0°c , so the results keep the same after swapping the connector of the good extruder sensor onto the heated bed temp sensor connector , and using new cable and new sensor does nothing also , even if you disconnect all the temp reading keeps the same : 222°c heated bed... where if we disconnect the extruder sensor the reading go to 0°c so normally when we disconnect the sensor on the heated bed connector this would need to go also to 0°c ?

or are we missing something ?
    the arduino i have replaced with a new one also yesterday thinking it would be the problem with the board but nothing changes , also re flashing the firmware did nothing with that heated bed max temp warning...

is it normal that we cannot use axis anymore , when the machine is connected on the firmware and the readings come in that communications are all good , we still cannot move the directions z+ or z- does nothing anymore...

this was started like this when the machine was starting a big print , after 3 hours it just stopped , heated bed temp max out warning , and we could not move the head anymore , everything was locked , even after restart the machine does not move anymore , i dont know if this is because of the heated bed temp max out error , or maybe something else ?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, that does sound like the thermistor port on the RAMPS board is bad. If you really have eliminated the wires and the thermistor itself then the RAMPS board is all that is left. Under warranty contact Robo directly for this as a replacement part. Otherwise you can shop around where ever you like for a RAMPS 1.4 card.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Are you power cycling between swapping the connectors?

7. wesleybelgium

wesleybelgium New Member

problem is resolved..

i have installed a new ramps 1.4 card , and the board that is on top of this we swapped but forgot the jumpers on this
    after adding the jumpers on the correct place and installing a new ramps 1.4 card under this , the problem was fixed

the problem started with a broken brace of the arduino cooler , i have now added 2 printed fan-holder with 2 x 40mm fan
    and connected this with the 12v power supply cable...

for the moment i'm printing the riser feet for under the robo 3d to improve the air-flow for the arduino.
    the prints are great quality again , just a little bug , when printing with usb cable sometimes the printer stops for a few seconds
    and then continue the print again , i think this is because of buffering issue or delay with the pc ?

so good cooling of the arduino is of life importance for survival of your arduino cards :)
    i would recommend this better cooling fix to everyone... for longer life of the cards...

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The little daughter cards are the stepper drivers (the ones on top of the ramps which is on top of the arduino) :)