1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved New E3D hot end, now no manual control and no heat

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Tony Vomfell, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Tony Vomfell

Tony Vomfell New Member

I just got this Robo3d printer used, and everything seemed to work but the quality was terrible (cheap aftermarket hot end was clogged bad and messed up) anyway I bought a tru E3D hot end and installed it.
    now the machine will home all 3 axis's but I cannot manually move them using the icons in MatterControl and also, the extruder and bed wont heat and it says the extruder temp is 357.5 degrees.

I didn't mess with anything else, and I triple checked that my wires were in the correct locations.

question there is no polarity on either the heater or the thermister wires correct?

thanks for any help or ideas.

Tony V

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You have a short in your thermistor wiring. Polarity doesn't matter as they're both resistors.

Chances are good the thermistor leads are shorting out against the heater block. Pull it out and make sure the insulation is well covering the wires so they can't contact each other or the heater block.

If that's not that case then follow the resistance trail, measure it from the end of the thermistor lead connectors and go from there

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Tony Vomfell

Tony Vomfell New Member

Thanks Mike I will check that in the morning. Will this effect the motor control as well? I wouldn't think so but I am new to the 3D printing scene.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

THe #1 most important thing is measuring the temperature of the hot end. If it's out of it's bounds (max temp, min temp) or an alert happens (temp fall, kill code) it will stop everything and power down to prevent system failures.

So yes, a max temp would affect motor controls immediately.

5. Tony Vomfell

Tony Vomfell New Member

That was it thanks Mike