1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What ever happened to Spectrom?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BenMac, Feb 23, 2016.

1. BenMac

BenMac Member

I know that Robo is not so great about sharing news with us, but I am mildly surprised that we have not heard anything about Spectrom. At the last CES they made multi-color printing a key part of the show. This year I don't think we heard a thing about it. I am a bit excited about this feature, since getting filament in every color can get a tad expensive.

Have you guys heard any news, know other companies offering such tech, or alternate methods?

Company site
    Previous news

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Didn't seem like that good of an idea to me. Didn't really work in a way that would actually give you true multicolor prints, but rather just kinda layers of different colors. No better really that just swapping filaments by hand

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You mean last years CES, no news on their website from them since November 2015. That is a long time without a word. Kickstart page says shipping their first batch (just 40 units) to kickstart backers in March from their last update a few days ago.

4. BenMac

BenMac Member

Mike: Well, the implementation may not be great, but the idea is appealing, at least to me. I like the idea of not having to spend hundreds of dollars in order to get every color that I may want/need.

Waldo: Yeah, their site has been fairly quiet. Thank you for sharing the tidbit about their Kickstarter. :) Hopefully the technology has improved since their first showing.

Do you guys think that multi-color printing will catch on, or do you think that it is just a fad?
    Personally, I am hoping for the former, but it is possible that it will simply be a fad. It kinda depends on if they improved their technique, and how expensive the system is. It would definitely not be attractive if it costs as much, if not more than just buying colored filament.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd rather spend hundreds of dollars on multiple colors of filament than hundreds of dollars on a device for coloring filament. You still need to buy filament with their device so it's probably better to just have the multiple colors.

I don't see multi-color printing being very popular because of the inherent complexities involved. Something like the diamond hotend is more feasible imo, but you'd need 5 filaments to get full color printing, CYMKW

Probably easier to just buy some sharpies and print something that colors the filament as it's being fed