1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Tolerances on the extruder feed neck? PCTPE

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Phara0h, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Phara0h

Phara0h New Member

So I tried calling support and they were kind of rude and no help. The guy did not know what PCTPE was and just told me to google my problem. Which I did and found nothing. So what is happening is I can feed in ABS no problem it measures at around 1.71 to 1.74ish and when I try to put in PCTPE which is about the same flexibleness as ABS it will not go in. I measured it and it ranged from 1.75- 1.79. Is the feedneck really that tight or do you think its defective?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The hexagon hotend has a nominal diameter of 1.82 mm for the heat break, any type of filament that expands when heated like PLA does may cause clogging. I am not familiar with PCTPE myself, but it is advertised as an easier to print flexible filament. I would assume it is much more flexible and compressible than ABS. That could be the sole cause of your issues right there. Without modification the Robo is simply not designed to print flexible materials well or even at all.

3. Phara0h

Phara0h New Member

its as flexible as regular nylon. I even unscrewed the back two tension bolts to feed it directly in and get gets caught like if something is blocking it. I feel like my hotend heat break diameter is about 1.75mm not 1.82. It even gets blocked with any abs that's bigger than 1.75mm.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Most filaments we buy may not be as round as you may think they are or should be. They tend to be slightly ovalized. This fact may make it harder to use one filament over another depending on how much it is ovalized. The 1.75 mm diameter is not a guarantee of a specific profile but rather what would be call nominal (see definition #3) diameter. Besides this at 1.82 mm the Hexagon has one of the smallest bores of 3D printer hot ends and hard feeding and/or jams are the most common complaints of their design.

5. Phara0h

Phara0h New Member

See I would like to believe that if iilt was not taulman brand filimant. Which I do not see any one else having a issue feeding that into their printer. My printer is the r1 plus and only 2 days old. So I might just return it if I can't solvt the issue.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Other folks have had issues with Brand name filament.
    I have sent back one roll of Taulman because it was OOS.
    They will replace it for you, but if replacing the printer is easier for you then go right ahead -- it is your call.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have one spool of Alloy 910 that is as thicker than 1.8 in various spots along the roll. I did not return it because I use and E3D which has a 2 mm bore. But Robo isn't the only manufacturer that uses the Hexagon. Good luck with whatever you decide.

8. Phara0h

Phara0h New Member

It is that inconsistent? Makes me think it's that big do to moisture. Well anyways I bought this printer to be an upgrade to my old shitty CTC. I am going to take off the extruder tonight and measure the bore and see what's the issue. If it's a defect I hope to just get a new hotend if it seems to be nothing wrong. (Which I would be shocked) I have no problem upgrading to the e3d head like you have. It's a really simple swap right. Pretty much just a plug and one screw for the R1 plus? If you could provide a link of someone doing the swap on a r1 plus I would greatly appreciate. Thank for your guys help.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

This measurement was after baking the filament for 2 hours at 150°F. It is not beyond the scope of reality that even Taulman can have filament out of spec. And PCTPE is more flexible than Alloy910, so it may be more compressible also.

I don't own an R1+PLUS but you can start a new thread in general and ask if anyone has done this specific upgrade and what their results were.

10. Phara0h

Phara0h New Member

So I took the hot end off and put it back on and now the PCTPE fits in there easily, I am guessing maybe something was misaligned or something.