1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved (Please help) Extruding Problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by max longstaff, Mar 21, 2016.

1. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

Hi, I will start by saying that I have a Robo 3d R1 with full-length rods, I have added an E3D V6 Hotend,

I have been having this issue for a while now but today I took the nozzle off and it was clean I seasoned it whilst it was out also and have been using an oiler,

(the issue) when I put the filament in it goes through and smoothly extrudes I can extrude using the wade wheel as long as I don't stop spinning as soon as I stop spinning it stops coming through

I have tried seasoning, oiling, different filaments, different temperatures from 190 - 240. nothing has changed the issue.

Thanks in advance

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

i'm sorry i'm not following what your issue is. It wont extrude ? but if you turn the wheel it extrudes is your issue? please try to elaborate so the rest of us have and idea of whats going on. maybe a numbered list of what happened or is not happening?

3. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

... i meant if i stop spinning then try start again 2 seconds later it wont come out

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you upload pictures of the hotend ? I'm imagining something must be either assembled wrong or a wierd partial jam. Do you have your tube installed , whenever I have extruder issues I remove from the carriage and run filament through it while it lies on the bed, if it still messes up I remove the nozzle and see if it still messes up. If it doesn't mess up anymore I either torch the nozzle to get the jam out or replace the nozzle with a spare

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmmm. That is an odd one.
    If you want to troubleshoot it I'd suggest starting by swapping the extruder (electrical connection) with one of the other Axis (X, Y, something else) stepper motors and seeing if driving that axis makes the extruder stepper run. If you swapped the connector from the X axis to the extruder then tell the software to move the X axis and see if the extruder runs/turns.

If it does then the problem is likely the stepper driver on the RAMPS board (the one for the extruder) just not putting out enough current. Either try to tune it or replace it.

If it still does not turn then it may well be a flaky stepper.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought the issue was when turning the extruder by hand? As in this does it with the steppers disabled?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, @max longstaff needs to be a lot more clear on exactly what is happening that is surprising...

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That darn devil hiding behind the details lol

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For a long time I was convinced mine as possessed by 10,000 demons, but that's another story :)

10. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

Sorry I forgot I was talking to Americans.

the problem is both by hand and mechanical thought that was clear sorry, I can upload pictures in the morning, Yes the PTFE tube is installed in the heat break, I have taken it off and filament goes through, and I have removed nozzle and purged it the problem persists

I don't know how much more detail is needed I included what I had tried and what I was using if I'm missing something please enlighten me

as simple as I can put it... I push filament... it comes through nicely... I stop pushing... I try pushing again... nothing comes through

(the problem is feeding the filament through by any means not with the stepper everything else is working fine)

#10 max longstaff, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

How does the hobbled bolt look? Is this occurring with all filament? Ex pla and Petg are doing the same thing etc. what temp are you using ? The only thing I can think of is the filament is either 1 binding up causing it to stop extruding (should notice when you remove the filament after it stops extruding). Or 2. Your settings(either temp or tension ) arnt right.

Examples of helpful information for us Americans would be temp settings, what kind of filament, did it do this before the e3d or only after the e3d install.

If it's doing it with the stepper and by hand but works by removing the hot end and feeding by hand then all I can think of is its a tension on the hob, something in the hinge(bearing froze up/missing or pin missing or just plain broken) something wrong with the hobbled bolt etc. pictures are very helpful and look forward to seeing them. It's a very unusual issue

GAmbrosio likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hmm, best guess (although from an American so take it with salt) is that the hotend is not quite correctly assembled.
    If the heatbreak is mis-positioned between the heat sink and the heater block then you can get some weirdness. It would affect the meltzone and cause odd behavior.

Also, what size heater core are you using?

GAmbrosio and Geof like this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The E3D is one of those small-all metal units that are sized so that assembly is really important.
    Although, I have not seen this behavior so I can't say this analysis is spot-on.

Geof likes this.
  15. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

in the original post I said I've tried 190-240 temps and I've tried pla and abs. my stock hex hotend was broken so cant answer that unfortunately,

I'm currently only testing pushing by hand so hobbed bolt shouldn't impact it but I've used 3 different ones that seem to work well.

I'm pretty sure whatever's happen is in the hotend since Im not using hinge or hobbed bolt at the minute

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, this is certainly hotend related not feed.

The most common issue I have had around E3D not being assembled correctly is the opposite where the meltzone gets too large and you end up stripping the filament because the melty part crept up too high :)

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Gotya. That helps a lot. I understood it as you were using the wade gear (which would include the hinge and hob) to drive the filament. So some things on the e3d to check
    1. Is the heat sink tight on the heatbreak
    2.is the heatbreak tight on the heater.

If yes to both of suspect the tube is not seated correctly or has a wierd burr on it (mind did on both sides).

I'd remove and reassemble as a sanity check

18. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

American comment wasn't aimed at intelligence it was more that what was originally wrote seems pretty clear to me so thought someone from England might fair better at reading it properly

ill take a look at the heat sink and heater block in the morning i suppose that could be the issue considering the way it feels

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They should be snug... nothing loose.
    My reading of Scots is better than my reading of English ;)

GAmbrosio likes this.
  20. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

I have just taken it apart cleaned every part then put it back together as tight as possible without going overboard then tested it and the issues the same

i have now noticed that the filament keeps coming out in an odd shape ill have to wait until the morning to take a picture but for a sort of reference it looks like the UFO from the simpsons and I had to pull out the PTFE to get the filament out[​IMG]