1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved X-Axis bouncing?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Wild8Wire, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Sorry if covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything on this.

When homing all axes in MatterControl, the system used to move the print head to the front left corner of the bed (smoothly) and be done. Today, the Y- and Z-axes are fine, but moving to X=0, the unit hits the switch, and bouncing (opening/closing the switch) 2 or 3 times before settling. Same thing happens when leveling the bed (like it tries to take X negative).

Only things that have happened are fixing a clogged extruder (but didn't have to disassemble), and I updated MatterControl today. Anyone else had this happen, and know if it's MC or something else?

2. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Thought I'd add, my MatterControl is build 1.3.0.4824 (most recently updated today).

Tried a print, and noticed the inner grid lines are wavy. They used to be straight, so something definitely changed. Sorry for the bad pic (it's still running):

[​IMG]

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I would make sure there is nothing blocking movements mechanically, I'd guess more likely a matter control issue. Test drive a new slicer :)

4. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Don't think it's a blocking issue, because it's actually reaching end of travel, but trying to keep going (bouncing off the limit switch). Trying another slicer sounds like a plan. Thanks again.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I would also try testing the micros witch and ensuring they are seated on the Ramps

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure it is homing correctly. There is only one switch for X and Y -- at the home position. The far ends are calculated by the software based on the size of the bed you have configured in that software.

If it is trying to travel too far then either it did not fully home first or the software thinks the bed is larger than it is.

7. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Contacted support, and still waiting for a resolution. But in case anyone else runs into this, here's a video of what my R1 Plus recently started doing:

8. aenea22980

aenea22980 New Member

When I got my printer it did something similar, the screw that was supposed to hit the switch wasn't long enough to depress the metal bar enough to trip the switch. I swapped it out with a slightly longer bolt and it works fine. It's hard to tell from the video on my little phone but maybe the switch is not being depressed enough to fully activate?

9. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Thanks for the suggestion! Think I remember reading that (your, or someone else's, post).

Tech support e-mailed me back and suggestion calibrating the print head with the build plate, checking the limit switches (M199 code), and lubing the X-axis rails (more related to a shifting problem). I'll try those AND your suggestion and post which one works for future reference.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Since a few people offered suggestions, and others may run into this problem, I wanted to post what worked on my machine...

But for now, it'll have to wait! For some reason, last night and today, it homes all axes just fine. No bouncing/stuttering at all. So now I'm really lost as to what was wrong, since it seemed to fix itself. I'll post a more conclusive result IF I actually fix it, if/after it starts again.

11. DJenky

DJenky Member

I'm getting some axis issues today. I'm not sure how to explain it other than a picture of what my print is looking like. Also, possibly noteworthy, the printer makes a little thumping noise as it's going, I believe it's coming from moving around the x-axis but I am uncertain.

Attached Files:

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Check to make sure nothing is blocking travel. Check belt tension, check the timing pulleys are tight on the steppers

13. DJenky

DJenky Member

It seems to travel fine, it grinds a bit on the far y-axis on one side, but I'm pretty sure I just tightened the belt a little too much. Other than that the moves fine, while doing the pre-print routine of going around the bed

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What speed are you printing at? Is the filament getting chewed up?

15. DJenky

DJenky Member

Medium speed, normal settings for MC, the filament is fine

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you strum the x belt does it sound like a twang or a thud ?

17. DJenky

DJenky Member

It's got a little bit of a twang

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That sude sounds.mechanical. can you do a paper leveling to verify that you are square ?

19. DJenky

DJenky Member

What is a paper leveling?

Oh, and I have an MC update available, let's see if that helps

#19 DJenky, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not likely. I'll let Tom answer the other one :)

Geof likes this.