1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Filament keeps breaking???

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kirk, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Kirk

Kirk Member

That sounds exactly like what is going on with mine.... Printed for months without a problem and than.. Snap...... All the time.

2. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

funny he said it works for big prints, same thing I was having, parts with lots of gaps where the head is skipping around alot is where I had problems, tightened the bolt screws more seemed to help.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Is your hotend fan running? Judging by your description of the issue I'd bet it's not.

4. Kirk

Kirk Member

Yes it is.... I don't have the haxagon hotend though

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ok well then it isn't running :p Just kidding it would have been good if you said that up front.

It's definitely jamming because of a clog and/or needing seasoning.

6. Kirk

Kirk Member

Opsss sorry..... I didn't realize it would have made that much of a difference ....I'll see how the poker goes

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's ok. Most people don't think to mention when they got their printer. Can't expect everyone to keep up to date with the latest revisions.

I find a brass bristle brush bristle works well in a heated nozzle

8. Kirk

Kirk Member

OK thanks... Where did you get yours from?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

God bless Harbor Freight.

3 people like this.
  11. J3R0D

J3R0D New Member

Could your screws holding the filament cover be too tight? Also your gear looks completely coated in plastic like it had been just turning on the filament rather than extrusion. I'd clean that up and make sure your filament isn't too tight against that gear.

12. Glitch

Glitch New Member

I don't think it's breaking, it actually tearing at the feed gear. Season you head and or switch to thicker layers aka "low detail" so the hot PLA can squeezes out a bit and you filament is not getting gouged out because it is trying to feed more then it can use. turn down your feed rate to half were it is now.

13. aenea22980

aenea22980 New Member

Some suggestions: it does look like the temp might be too high and the heat is traveling up the hot end and softening the filament before it can feed. Check the temp setting and also check the fan that blows over the hot end heat sink. If the fan is dislodged or not working for some reason that would allow heat to travel up the shaft like that.

I had a lot of problems with jamming exactly like that for a while, and weirdly I believe it was simply because the spool holder the printer comes with created too much friction, so the spool wouldn't turn fast or smooth enough. It would cause stripping on the filament, the filament would get extruded unevenly and get burnt in the hot end and stuck. I had to clean many, many jambs just like that. I built a spool sled like on thingiverse, with smooth turning bike ball bearings that the spool rests on, and have not had that problem again. (Don't buy ones that are pre-greased, I had to strip the side wall covers off and wash them in acetone, then wd40 them before they would turn freely.)

Good luck!