1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved R+ heat bed stopped heating

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by thomas49065, Apr 15, 2016.

1. thomas49065

thomas49065 New Member

I have a R1+ I purchased just over a month ago. Decided to finally take on ABS yesterday and apparently from what I have read I was running the print bed way too high i.e 105C I believe it was mentioned the max is 85C? Is that correct? I have 12v on both channels coming out of the power supply and going into the board. No visible damage or signs that the magic smoke was released from any components. 1.3Ohms on the heating element. Extruder heats up to temp without issue. Thermister reads room temp and will fluctuate if heat is applied to it i.e. my hand. When I set the bed to heat I get zero volts at the connector for the heating element on the board and no sign that the power supply is being taxed as in when the extruder is heating (fan running).

I believe those are all the steps that I could find in previous threads any further guidance with links to steps I may have missed or actual steps to take next would greatly be appreciated.
    I have a full soldering station and decent knowledge of electronics as I was a radio repairman for the Marine Corp but that was 1995 so I am a bit rusty.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not for ABS. Some models of the R1 had the bed temp limited in firmware to 85, but that was due to the way the bed was wired.
    You probably lost the MOSFET that drives the heated bed output channel. This is Q3 on a standard RAMPS 1.4. The RAMPS in the R1+ is slightly different mechanically (some of the outputs have different connectors) but it is the same electrically. I do not have one to look at so I can't comment on the exact connections. This is a normal one:

ramps1-4connectors.png

Under warranty I'd get Robo to replace the board for you then if you want to experiment with replacing the MOSFT have at it :)

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I've been able to tell mine to heat to 110C with no issues (other than the heater itself not heating very evenly and being smaller than the print area), so if I were you I'd put in a warranty replacement request for a heated bed as well as a replacement RAMPS under suspicion that the MOSFET is bad, and just say that the bed never achieves temperature for the ABS profile in MatterControl when submitting the request.

You can do it here:

http://robo3d.com/warranty/#tab-id-4

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You could I suppose replace the RAMPS with a standard one, but then you would need to rework some of the connectors.

Yea, I have used 110c as well. Much above that you run out of power from the power supply :)

5. thomas49065

thomas49065 New Member

is there anyway I could purchase an exact replacement to expedite repair? For me it is more about having the printer up and running asap. And thank you for the advice and clearing up my misunderstanding of bed temps. I have started the warranty replacement process but would like to get a replacement part ordered asap on my own to speed things along. Down time is a terrible thing. Looking into getting a backup printer for just such occasions.

#5 thomas49065, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need to be having this conversation with Robo3d :)

We (the user community -- and we are all users here) can't get you parts.

Since that is a non-standard RAMPS 1.4 I can't say where you could get it other than Robo3D.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It might be worth considering (since you seem to have some technical chops) replacing their customized RAMPS with a standard one.
    At least look into it since it will make sourcing replacement parts a lot easier.

You can get a standard RAMPS 1.4 dirt cheap on Amazon (and fast with Prime)

8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I highly recommend this printer as a backup printer.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13860

Check out the reviews on it. A lot of them talk about modifications to make the printer even better but the stock printer I've got has done some pretty spectacular things.

9. thomas49065

thomas49065 New Member

I did put in a warranty replacement request and have ordered a standard RAMPS 1.4 So hopefully sooner than later I will be up and running again.

Thank you so much for all your input much appreciated.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. thomas49065

thomas49065 New Member

Awesome gold star for your helpfulness, again much appreciated.

12. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

They are pretty fast at both their response and the shipping. I'm in California and the entire ordeal took 5 business days. 2 of those days was on me since I did not have my serial number nor pictures. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. thomas49065

thomas49065 New Member

replaced mosfet back up and running still playing email tag with tech support they don't seem to speak English a first typed language.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. thomas49065

thomas49065 New Member

after finally getting all the parts and getting the time to install them I replaced the power supply, ramps board and the glass bed and heating coil. Still wouldn't heat up. Spoke to Brian at Robo we ended up flashing the firmware on the arduino and boom the bed heated up. So nice to be able to print PLA without having a raft again.