1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved What the HELL is wrong with the printer now...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Psychophoria, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

I have no idea what's going on now.
    Here's today's problem with the Plastic 3D printer...
    Printed out these pieces perfectly fine yesterday.

[​IMG]
    • Using same exact .gcode as yesterday.
    • Same ambient room temperature.
    • Same filament.
    • Nothing is loose on the printer.
    • Everything is the SAME as yesterday....
    I'm really tired of all these issues.
    My friend has had his Printrbot Metal Plus for a while, without any complications.
    Is it possible to get a refund within the six month warranty period..? I have an abundance of patience with this printer, and well over a hundred hours troubleshooting and getting it to print anything correctly.
    I understand some people don't have issues with their Robo 3D, but mine is worse than the Plague itself.
    Thanks....

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to call Robo and talk to them directly for the questions regarding warranty.
    We are a user forum (other users, just like you) and we can suggest things to check, but for warranty issues you need to go to Robo.

As for the print... If that is PLA I'd say you need to season the hotend

(that is not Robo specific, more like PLA specific)

3. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Try manually extruding and see if it feeds ok. Measure your filament and make sure it's not over 1.8mm. I've had that problem with certain spools of filament.

4. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

- Redacted -

#4 Psychophoria, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  5. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Looks like its having trouble extruding, for whatever reason. ( partial clog, may need an oiler..etc )

This happens with ALL FDM 3d printers. one day they are fine the next day.. messed up. You have to learn to work on them.

Try the suggestions posted above someone here will eventually figure out how to fix it.

6. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Appreciate the responses.
    I know this printer quite thoroughly, and it's not an issue with the seasoning/oiling of the hotend.
    I use an oiler, and have tried removing the oiler, and still experience the same issue.
    I've removed any clogs, and cleaned out the inside on the hotend.
    The filament is indeed being fed through via the metal cog, and extruding.
    I've used all types of adhesives on the build plate, tried all reasonable temperatures.
    Haven't heard back from Robo, which is no surprise to me.
    Loving it.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd ring them (not on the weekend, even though they say 24x7).
    Actually talk to a level 2 guy.

There is likely something malfunctioning with the extruder or hotend.

Samantha Ezakovich likes this.
  8. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Thanks Mark.
    Always a great help.
    Sorry for the irritated attitude, I've just experienced so many issues with this printer; It seems as if they never stop.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, I get it. New printer should not go through this. Most don't. but some... oh, man.

10. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you should have seen the absolute comedy of problems in the Shoutbox for my original R1 (and now the R1+ having the same problems).

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is a set of problems (there are actually a few different sets) that are common to the Robo. Some are common to all the cheap Prusa style machines others are uniquely Robo :)

12. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I went on a rampage last night, cussing up a storm. My brand new R1+, made it about 2 hours in total before the hotend had a ridiculous jam in it that required a full dissemble and some torch action. Yes these(all) 3d printers will test your nerves.

By your picture though it looks like an extrusion problem to me, not a bed adhesion issue. What is the cause of it suddenly? I don't know. sorry.

Try a new nozzle?

Also offtopic is it just me or are the stock nozzles really annoying, you cant fit a box end or a socket on them drives me nuts! they have the two flat spots 7mm but its really annoying I cant put a ratcheting box end on them or a socket. //endrant.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

E3dv6 nozzles :)

I pulled all 3 of my hex nozzles off and replaced due to the same irritation

14. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Considering I paid $800 for this rather large piece of plastic, they should include a higher-quality hotend.
    Also, the bed is garbage. The design is rather bizarre. I could go on all day about the specifics of what's wrong with this printer.
    The bottom line, is that the constant and never-ending issues with the Plastic 3D are beyond ridiculous. In addition, the customer service is next to that of a kindergartner.
    Speaking in terms of this thread, I almost managed to print out a decent piece again. But NO!
    Half way through, $5 into it, the layers essentially take a shit and begin splitting and separating, just like before.
    I don't know how many times I've wanted to throw this thing out the window, I've even put it in the garbage bin for the garbage truck to pick up. Somehow it always ends up in my house again, getting mounts of destroyed and failed prints all over the place.
    Sadly, I'd simply never recommend anyone purchase a Robo3D. And if they did, and are still within that 30 day window, take the shit back. Too many problems.
    My friend has had his Printrbot Metal Plus running straight for many months now; The only adjustment he's had to make is for the many kinds of filaments he's using, including PETG, which never works with the Robo. (At least mine)

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What are your temperatures and material for the photos at the start of this thread ?

I do assume a clogged nozzle and while 800.00 is a lot of money, in the makers world comparison it is the "cheapo" printer. Yes the hotend sucks, but many printers use the hexagon including the 2k taz 5, all with the same hexagon issues, it's not robo specific.

The 1.8 bore on the hex is what caused me grief considering much of my cheap filament measured up to 1.82.

Measure your filament, consider the e3dv6, sanity check your temperatures, at least pull and inspect the nozzle for jams. Grab a beer and let's work through this :). The great thing about robo is the community and we are all willing to help each other to the best of our abilities.

16. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I replaced the hex with an e3d on one of my printers and haven't had a jam since. My other printer should have an e3d on it tonight because the hex constantly jammed with certain filament. Pretty sure it will solve all my problems.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  17. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Still haven't been able to get a single print. Went through another wasted spool of PLA.
    Great stuff, Robo! No reply from them still, gonna send out yet another email LOL... Will try calling them when I find the time.
    Going to purchase a new extruder in the next few days, the Chinese replacement one they sent me is literally falling apart.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Suggestion is to use the E3D or something of similar quality (i.e. Prometheus) and you won't have extruder problems again.

Geof likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

At least if you do its serviceable. Much better quality

20. robocad

robocad Member

I just had the stock hotend jam 4 days into using it, it turns out the metal they use, its some sort of really cheap aluminum, it shrinks everytime you use it just a little until its too small at parts to allow your filament through. Seeing as how quality hotends cost 1/8th that of a new robo im not surprised they picked the cheapest available option.