1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Recommended 3D printing Software Upgrade

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul M, Apr 15, 2016.

1. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

When I do finally get around to taking the RPi 3 out and setting it up, I'll post a summary of my setup and any little gotchas I find.

Paul M and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. Paul M

Paul M New Member

@WZ9V I look forward to your Post, I ordered my RPI 3 a few days ago and I plan to Use Octoprint, having someone actually put it together and set it up will be greatly appreciated.

Now i just need to learn how to use Simplify 3D. I also pickup a 64gb SD card.. was on sale at staples for half price so i decided what the heck..
    Looking into Ordering either the RepRap Full Graphic Smart LCD Controller or the Smart LCD Controller XXL for my Robo, which do you guys recommend? They are the same price $69.

Getting Excitied about all these upgrades to my Robo, Thanks again guys!

3. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I posted it already over in Show and Tell. It was pretty simple using the specific nightly build image I referenced.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/raspberry-pi-3-octopi-wlan.8308/

For the LCD it just depends on which display you like better and if you feel comfortable changing and recompiling Marlin.

From what people have posted and the source I got from the website, the 2004 style and XXL text displays are already enabled in the factory supplied firmware. (I haven't finished mine yet so I can't say from personal experience yet). The full graphics one will require changing some settings, getting the extra libraries, and recompiling Marlin. It's not hard if you've done other Arduino or similar stuff before but it can be a bit overwhelming for Arduino newbies.

#23 WZ9V, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Paul M and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. Paul M

Paul M New Member

Yeah I am at the stage of barely understanding what Arduino is.. So newbie on Steroids i would say... i will just buy the XXL for now and maybe later on if its really better then the XXL ill upgrade when i understand the Arduino system. Thanks @WZ9V . Just got confirmation that my Raspberry PI3 has been shipped so excited for that to get here and ill put an order in for the XXL tonight.

Also i am currently still having problems printing from the SD card using Simplify 3D. I loaded it onto my SD Card, Plugged it into my Robo, powered on my Robo, Connected to it from Simplify 3D, then his Print from SD Card and i get a fail message in the Communications log... Am i missing something? @mark tomlinson

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Error details?

6. Paul M

Paul M New Member

@mark tomlinson at work at the moment, when I get home tonight i will take a screen shot of it and show you. I ordered the XXL LCD screen last night i hope that makes it easier to print with the SD card. Thanks for the help.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sure, it will, but errors in the print will not be displayed so this you need to resolve over USB :)