1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved (Please help) Extruding Problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by max longstaff, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

i think I'd try removing the nozzle and feeding(just the brass nozzle not the hotend) and feed some filament through, if it continues to be an issue I'd suspect the liner.

Quick check to make sure the fan is working for the heat sink and blowing onto the hot end and not away from it

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The key is to make sure that the heatbreak is fully engaged in the heat block.
    The nozzle on mine was not completely flush with the heat block when tightened since the threads on it would mate with the threads from the heatbreak (inside the block). That is normal.

3. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

Okay this might seem odd but hear me out :p ... I'm now pretty sure the issue is with the HeatSink... yes the HeatSink not the heatbreak :p didn't really know this could go wrong but when i try push filament through without it it works perfectly but with it on it works for a couple of seconds then stops... think its the way its not fully gripping the PFTE tube allowing it to come out and the filament to squash in between the inside of the heatbreak and the pfte tube... that would also explain the odd UFO shape of the filament pulling out.. are there any solutions to this?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I assume by "not fully gripping the PFTE tube allowing it to come out" you mean that the tube is riding up allowing a gap between the tube and the heat break.

It is a workable theory. I can't say that I have ever seen that happen, but in all fairness all of the E3D units I have worked on had the PTFE tube run well out of and above the heat sink (usually up the hobb) so that wasn't going to be happening in that case. I'd suggest buying more PTFE tube (cheap enough on Amazon) and just replace that with a longer section.

5. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

thanks jeffthemess helped me also i was using a smaller pfte tube this one im using now is tighter but i will probably also drill the hole for the pfte to come up to the hobbed bolt since theres less margin for error that way :)

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure and if you do that make certain that the ID of the hole and the OD of the PTFE tube are a tight match :)

7. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

did drill the hole and its a tight match it squeezes in nicely however whilst printing the PFTE still manages to raise itself causing a jam