1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved What the HELL is wrong with the printer now...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Psychophoria, Apr 12, 2016.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, the Robo is a step above one of the kit-bots.
    They source the cheaper parts to keep the price low.
    (old news to most on here already).

This is why so many folks don't keep the stock hotend beyond the original first needing work.
    I wish they sold these with options so that you could opt-in to a better set of components with extra cost.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Doing a little work on a min I factory shouldn't be a deal breaker :) crappy hotend so gat to upgrade (80.00) gat print without a computer gotta get the lcd (20.00-?). After that it's all gravy until failures all printers get (belts, steppers, ramps, fans etc)

Hell the 2k taz5 comes with a hexagon :)

3. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

My friend with Printrbot lent me some excess filament he was going to toss, and well, I've almost been able to get a print. Kinda..
    This heated bed is seemingly having issues keeping a constant and thorough temperature throughout the build plate...
    I resorted to automotive grade spray adhesive, with 100% infill 3 layer rafts, and it still lifts.
    You've got to be kidding me..
    I might hold off on the new extruder, because this printer is really just turning into a DIY money pit.
    The auto-leveling no longer is functioning properly, the re-soldered replacement extruder is essentially done, the heated bed is trashed, the parts fan is no longer working,
    At this point, it might be most economical (Money and time wise) to purchase a different printer.
    Either that, or I salvage what I can from this and use the board and motors in a kit.
    Extremely disappointing.

4. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Yeah, this isn't a little work.
    This is now getting over 100+ hours of time troubleshooting problems that pop up with this printer.
    This section of the threads is scarred with the problems I've encounters.
    If Robo doesn't get back to me, and return my calls, then I'm selling it or scrapping it and moving on.
    Not worth my time, money and effort.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok. Well something to look at for each issue.

Not sticking - yes the heater does not cover the entire build plate. More like 60-70%. Abs for me wasn't possible but all the other materials I run wasn't a problem so much. Check your z offset. Matter control and most other slicers default at 1.0. To high so sticking is an issue

*by auto leveling not working properly I'm assuming it keeps going up instead of probing the bed. This is one of the z switches out of wack. If that's not what's happening please explain further
    * head bed - covered above
    * parts fan- check to see if you have voltage at the connector with the fan on. 12v. If yes then probably a bad fan (replacement on Amazon for 5.00). Request new parts on the robo website if still under warranty.

I'm hoping this is helpful for you.

6. robocad

robocad Member

I use PETG on a sheet of PEI and it sticks perfectly without any heat, i never had any luck with ABS either. PETG apparently will destroy a glass bed so watch out.