1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Free 3D software to edit STL files?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Wild8Wire, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Anyone know of a 3D program (preferably freeware) that will allow editing of an STL file? I used Netfabb Basic to cut a large STL into sections to print; but I'd like to modify the pieces with alignment keys, instead of just having flat surfaces to glue together.

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Editing STL's sucks.

However TinkerCad, and AutoDesk 123D will let you import them both free im sure there is more. Working with them(STL's) is annoying because no grids snap to them you cant measure them with any precision..basically all you can do is eyeball things to add or cut stuff into them.

.STL files are more of a final file for printing they are pretty much useless for trying to modify.

You should be able to cut a key slot out though with tinkercad or 123d however.

#2 KTMDirtFace, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  3. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Not what I was hoping to hear, but pretty much what I expected. I'd love to have real 3D files to modify; but short of redesigning them from scratch, it'd be nice to pull an STL that's already available and make a slight (but relatively precise) mod.

Since I'm working on STLs from game generators, the odds of me recreating them to scale is pretty much slim to none.

4. KTMDirtFace

Yea I have the same problem.

This guy on youtube uses tinkercad and modifies .STL files quite a bit. maybe you can get some ideas.

Tinker cad seems to have an align tool that seems to even align with STL's.. which I can't get to happen with anything I have tried.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If the file is not too complex, go to Youtube and watch a tutorial on how to convert STL back to a solid file in FreeCAD. It is not easy, takes a long time to convert, if it can at all. and the file still has all those triangular facets. But it will convert many .

6. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll check into both and give them a try

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Wild8Wire good luck with trying out both methods. Personally I have found it easier to ask the originator of the STL for the source material or just recreating it from scratch. Technically places like Thingiverse, YouMagine and others do not conform to the spirit of their CC licenses since they do not require source material uploads and many of the contributors are unwilling to give you them even if you ask for it.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

And trying to turn that applesauce back into apples is painful.

Wild8Wire likes this.
  9. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

I understand that one. My problem is pulling files from somewhere like DestinySTLGenerator, where it takes the files from the in-game models. I guess I could contact their support team and see if there's a way to get the raw model. Hmmm...

10. KTMDirtFace

This Might be helpful.

11. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Thanks for the vid! I like Makers Muse vids. Some useful info there, but still doesn't quite address what I'm wanting to do. Unfortunately, I'm thinking WheresWaldo nailed it, about having to recreate the object.