1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved XXL controller button stops working?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Wild8Wire, May 2, 2016.

1. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

I've got a reprap XXL controller which I've been using for about 3 weeks (and really like), but yesterday, the knob button (push to select) stopped working. It senses the SD card removal/insertion, and even the rotary function of the knob is fine ... just can't select anything. Has anyone seen this before, and maybe know a reset/fix?

I contacted the seller, but was curious (in the meantime) if anyone had a quick solution.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Mine gets sticky from time to time try taking it out of the case if your running one and see if it works?

3. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Did that right before posting; no luck

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Last ditch effort unplug it and re plug it from the ramps. Doubtful but worth a shot. Hit up printed solid for replacement. He stands by what he sells

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I think we've had one or two issues where the encoder dies entirely, but I think that this is the first time I've seen one where only the push button function fails. Are you still physically able to press it? I'm guessing that something is stuck in the assembly blocking a contact. Maybe try hitting it with some compressed air?

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep. That sounds like a switch/encoder mechanical failure.

Geof likes this.
  7. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Thanks for the replies. Forgot Printed Solid was on here, and I've already sent an e-mail on the issue.

Already disconnected/reconnected it without success. Yes, butting can physically be pressed. It doesn't make the beep tone, so it's essentially not detecting that it's pressed. I'll try blowing it out with air to rule out blockage, but thinking it's something else. Will get back on this later.

Geof likes this.
  8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

@Wild8Wire Let me know if you end up running out of things to try and we can get you set up with a replacement.

Geof likes this.