1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered R+ heat bed stopped heating

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by thomas49065, May 9, 2016.

1. thomas49065

thomas49065 New Member

My bed has been intermittently heating well the other day during printing I smelled burning wire casing. Wont heat now opened case one red 12 volt wire on the power supply is scorched. I read 12 volts on both channels. Turn on preheat and get no red light on the RAMPS. I have only received a replacement RAMPS from Robo but they were suppose to also send a new heating element. Long story short I do not have that as of yet. Is it safe to say it was the board and just replace it or should I wait for the element also? Or is this scorched wire a totally different issue? As always your input and help would be greatly appreciated.

Please see attached pic of burnt wire

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id replace that wire and inspect the green plug it goes to before putting a new board in.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Wait and replace both.

thomas49065 and Geof like this.
  4. thomas49065

thomas49065 New Member

Just got off the phone with tech support Kevin said he has never seen a wire melt like that on a power supply before and is going to send me a new power supply.

5. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Yikes..thats scary. My first robo3d one of the black wires was not actually attached to the power supply from the factory. Like they forgot to screw it down..the bare wire was just sitting on top of the screw.. Looks like a good way for a major disaster.

Glad you didn't burn the whole thing up.

Geof likes this.