1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Abs getting stuck

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by invinciblegod, May 13, 2016.

1. invinciblegod

invinciblegod New Member

Printing with PLA is fine however, 9/10 of the time when I print with ABS the filament would stop extruding on the first layer. It's not actually clogging, just not coming out because I can still push on the filament and it will come out again. What is happening is it is getting stuck and then the extruder keeps cutting into the same section eventually gouging out that part of the filament and so the filament will no longer move. Does anyone know what is causing this? I am using an E3d hotend and I tried increasing the nozzle temperature to 245 but that didn't help.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd suggest a sanity check of the od of your filament. Is the hobbled bolt clean, spring tension correct? Can you manually feed with the large gear or does that cause issues as well?

3. invinciblegod

invinciblegod New Member

I can manually feed with the gears. It works with PLA and sometimes it works with ABS but not usually. The tension should be fine as I can manually extrude it.

4. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

In my limited experience, ABS is softer than PLA so too much back pressure will cause it to gouge out. I'd try raising the extruder just a bit on the first layer or increase the extruder temp.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I would try a slight adjustment to see what happens, I typically finger tighten my screws around my filament. This works pretty reliably for me.

Something you could also try is lowering the speed.

I run an oiler on all my filaments ... I don't know if it helps or not but sure doesn't hurt lol

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is odd behavior for ABS.Normally the only thing that would make ABS hard to extrude is too low of a temp.
    245 should be fine, but try 250. Too hot just gets stringy.

7. stephen shanks

stephen shanks New Member

I'm have the exact same problem at the moment. I noticed that my first layer is also in even. I've tried two different filaments. I'm going to try and adjust the z rods later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. stephen shanks

stephen shanks New Member

Their is another thread on the Robo forums on page 2 with the same issue. It's the slicer update. Try updating matter control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  9. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

I am new to all of this. AND I am having the same problem was there any solution to it? It prints fine with pla but has a non feeding problem after about 35-45 mins on a 9 hr project. I have increased my excrud. temp and can feed manually with a static test. Any new updates on this?

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

My fira8t thought is to try a different slicer...matter control is glitchy. Start a thread with your issue and if possible a photo

11. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

:)
    I will thank you

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds great !