1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered R1+ Hotend clogged, now MINTEMP triggered

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Just Kelly, May 15, 2016.

1. Just Kelly

Just Kelly New Member

OK, so I had some PLA get stuck in my hot end and it broke off while I was trying to pull it out (it won't budge even with the extruder temp @ 235). So following the instructions on here I was able to take the hotend out of my R1+. I saw a post that said to take it out and hold it upside-down while heating it up to get the stuck filament out and tried that, but now when I fire up the MatterControl to heat the extruder I get:

Extruder Switched off. MINTEMP triggered !

(Also, I noticed that suddenly the Control buttons (moving the axis) don't work anymore. Not sure if that's related. Homing works, though.)

So what the heck do I do now? Is this something that is covered under warranty? It's only been about 3 months. Thanks in advance

Crabdude likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Your work on the hotend likely caused an issue with the (fragile) thermistor.
    Probably disconnected so check through the wiring and make sure it is not a broken wire or bad connection back to the RAMPS.
    If not, then it is a bad thermistor. Call Robo and see if you are still under warranty (3 months is the span if I remember correctly). But worst case a new thermistor is cheap.

3. Just Kelly

Just Kelly New Member

Now, is the thermistor the little tiny thing in the hotend or the larger cylinder? Because the cylinder came out when I was removing the hotend, but I put it back and tightened the retaining screw on the bottom just enough to hold it in place.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The 'larger cylinder' is probably the heater core.
    Without pictures I can not be certain, but thermistors are small, tiny and made of glass :)

Small white wire in this picture is the thermistor, red one is heater core:

Hotendparts.jpg

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

On the r1+ they both look like canisters kind of (new style ones anyway).

The small wires are the thermistor the larger wires is the heater. :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If the heater wasnr aecure it could cause your error