1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How is this done

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, Feb 20, 2013.

1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I have seen files that are complete assemblies...do they work right out of the machine.
    I can't think they would

Another example confuses me

a section of linked chain how is the image made so that it does not actually permanently connect the links of the chain together where they touch.

for example how would a small version of say a shaded floor lamp be drawn I can see the main body of the lamp just a straight column but when it comes to the shade which extends out from the column both x and y how is the bottom line laid down and then built upon to create the shade itself. It can't just float there.

Sorry if these are basic questions but I am very new to this.

2. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

I don't have any experience with 3D printers, so I may be mistaken, but its possible that melted plastic doesn't stick well to hardened plastic. If that we're the case, then you could build interconnected pieces as long as the first link has been given enough time to cool, which doesn't take long from the videos I've seen.

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Cool, pun intended, I hadn't thought about that aspect.
    Thanks

Still wondering about the floor lamp model Best way would be to print it up side down that way everything has a base but if I was forced to print it right side up how can that be done?

4. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Best way to do that would be to print it updise-down. The only way I can imagine it possibly working right-side-up would be if you had a bunch of removable support columns built from the print bed to the bottom of the shade, spaced out by an inch or two. Again, though, it's a lot more practical to just build it upside-down.

5. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

This, basically.

Attached Files:

6. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Objects like a lamp, a building with a floating balcony, trees, etc. are the realm of powder-based 3D printers. We have to make do with filament extruders, but we also save $20,000 :)

2 people like this.
  7. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

For overhanging objects, the slicer will automatically add supports. I suspect that some cases will require the designer to add their own in some instances.

2 people like this.
  8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Good point

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

That is good to know thank you very much I wasn't aware the software had this possibility.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

One question how much horizontal movement do you think is required before a support column needs to be put in place. In Ahmed's image it shows small gaps between the support columns.
    So how big can these gaps be?
    Even the 3d tornado is an expanding ring which has now supports so there must be some horizontal movement that does not need support

11. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

The tornado layers each have an overhang, where part of the extrusion is on a lower level. A true floating layer can't happen in extrusion printing.

Supports are the way around this, yet aren't optimal. With dual extrusion, people have been working with ASB/HIPS builds where the HIPS can be dissolved after used for support.

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I understand that I guess what I should have asked was
    How much of the extrusion is required to be on a lower level before a support is required?
    Would half the nozzle width be Ok or would we be able to squeak out 1/3 on the lower lever and 2/3 hanging.
    I guess it would depend on the viscosity of the melted filament.

Is something like this built into the software used. Is it a definable value or is it simply static?

I am asking because I was thinking about placing actual SUPPORTS for a cover piece and if I used a fillet I may be able to create the the actual SUPPORTS without having to use the breakaway support.

IF the fillet had enough area in it to allow for the overlap to exist then it could be printed without the need for the support.
    nosupport-support.png
    The beginning of this support would just be an added width of the wall it is not separate just wanted to show the layers and overlap.

13. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It depends on the viscocity of the filament is a pretty good way of saying it. Plastics are viscoelastic materials, so when they are 'melted' they still exhibit some solid like properties, which is why this whole 3D filament printing thing works! You can tweak this with machine speed, temperature, and material type.

The rule of thumb here is 45degrees. If you go with a 45 degree incline, you're probably going to be fine with just about any settings. Completely horizontal features like your cover need to be supported all the way across. Not to harp on the 'it depends' point, but horizontal features are occasionally OK if you don't mind stringing on the bottom.
    The part you have drawn should just be printed 180 degrees from what you have shown, then there is no need for any support. The other thing you can do is print in pieces and glue together.

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The piece was a sample box and this was one of the side this would be the only real way of printing all four sides at once.

45 degrees being the 'rule' is what i was wondering about.
    So a hollow pyramid with 45 degree slope walls would be able to be printed
    Thanks

In this example the cover would have been printed separately.

15. Printed Solid

Staff Member

If you don't want to have to deal with calculating it yourself Autodesk Meshmixer has an overhang analysis that uses the 45 degree 'rule'.

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

that begs the question if the design uses something greater than the 45 will it automatically add supports. When I made that drawing I just used a simple fillet it was based on distance not angle I had no idea what the angle was. I would think that most slicing software would have the ability to add supports where needed is this not the case???

17. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Exactly. I think that the automatic supports go by the 45 degree rule very strictly. You can adjust what the criteria is for deciding when to support, but you can't say, "put supports here, but not there".

It's a tradeoff. You either spend the time designing your own custom support that only fills in exactly where you need it, or you spend extra time printing and then cleaning support material.

18. 3D Printer Man

Their is nothing that works out of the box, you always have to have knowledge to use a 3d printer.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@3D Printing ROBO your bringing up very old topics. Its absolutely a good idea to read through them but please try to refrain from posting on them as it brings an old thread up to where new threads are. Makes the forum very confusing.
    Thank you

mark tomlinson likes this.