1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved R1+ ABS stops extruding.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by alexhartwig02, May 19, 2016.

1. alexhartwig02

alexhartwig02 New Member

During larger prints only, several hours of printing the filament will stop extruding and it will just stop at grind away at the gears. I have changed the spool holder to offer the least amount of resistance, I have adjusted the temperature ranges of the extruder, and I am out of ideas to get this working. Everything I try it just never works. Any ideas please?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What temp? Speed? Partial clog? Why abs ? What size is the filament measuring ?

3. alexhartwig02

alexhartwig02 New Member

260 degrees. Adjusted from ranges of 250-280 in 5 degree increments. Speeds are below 80. It never clogs. It just usually takes me to unload it, cut the tip off, then reload it. I have no idea why ABS does it and not PLA.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What size does the filament measure ? Hexagon or e3d hotend ?

5. alexhartwig02

alexhartwig02 New Member

Filament size is 1.75 and the hotend is the standard all metal hexagon

6. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

Have you tried a different brand of ABS? What brand is it?

Also may try using a laptop and watching the temp over time to see if it drops after so long.

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What size does it actually measure though? Youll need to measure across 4 feet or so to determine of your hitting any parts over 1.8

On the hex the bore is 1.8 and i had similar issues due to a spool of out of tolerance filament

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Also is the cold end fan running

9. alexhartwig02

alexhartwig02 New Member

No i haven't tried a different brand of filament. The temperature doesnt fluctuate too wildly. Usually within a degree or two of my setting. All the fans run by the time the problem happens. And i dont see any irregularities in the filament before it gets to the extruder. as for tolerance i have no idea what that means.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So tolerance is basically the allowed size difference in the spool. So for instance most companies are 1.75 + or - .05

The +/-.05 is their tolerance so with calipers measure the filament. The - isnt a huge deal but the + on the hexagon gave me grief. Anything over 1.78 and i had jam issues.

#10 Geof, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is out of spec for a spool to get that far off tolerance. Geoff is right though that some do (and not always the cheap stuff).
    If you have a spool that is too far out you can try to get the seller to replace it. The reputable ones will, the cheaper ones not so much.

Just set the calipers at 1.8 and run them along 3-6 feet of it and see if it 'sticks' anywhere.

12. alexhartwig02

alexhartwig02 New Member

Okay ill have to check on that. If its good filament what should i try next? If its bad I'll change it out.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Next id check to make sure the hobbled bolt is clean (check all the teeth and clean...i use an o ring pick, toothpick works too)

If thats good id suggest checking the spring tension on the extruder. Occasionally mine has worked loose mid print and i pulled out my hair trying to find a failure.

I both those are.good remove the nozzle and inspect the hotend for a partial clog (while the nozzle is off take a butane torch and heat the nozzle to get any left over gunk out)

After all that if the problem persists we can keep looking :)

mark tomlinson and alexhartwig02 like this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

15. alexhartwig02

alexhartwig02 New Member

I measured several feet of the filament and it measures all right. Clean the hobbled bolt. Yes I am using MatterControl. The extruder is very clean at this rate. I am printing out a large object now to test. Hopefully it goes well.

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make certain that the fan on the extruder itself is running 100%.
    Not the one that blows on the part printing, but the one on the extruder.

At the temperatures you are printing if it is NOT working 100% you will get heat creep and it will do exactly what yours is doing.
    Heat creep is when the heat from the hot-section of the hotend crawls up the extruder and make the filament start to melt before it is in the melt-zone. This causes it to stop extruding (melted or soft filament can't be pushed into the heat break by the extruder, it will just 'stop').

17. 3D Printer Man

It think you need to unclog the extruder. Disassemble it. You might need to level it. That help my printer extruder more even.

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

How did your print go with everything cleaned up?

19. alexhartwig02

alexhartwig02 New Member

Well had some warping but the print actually finished. Print took 14hrs and didn't clog. I'm hoping it cured it and not just a lucky break. Thanks all for your help!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Abs is so finicky. Such a headache to print with. I'm glad your up and going again