1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R3D R1+ Galaxy S7 Bed Mount?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tehbatman, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Tehbatman

Tehbatman New Member

So I've been looking for a way to mount a camera to my print bed so 1) I can record time lapses, and 2) So the camera would be stationary relative to the print bed, which moves based on the Y coord. After doing some looking, I found alot for things like Logitech webcams and GoPros. But, since I don't have either of those, and I'm not exactly in a point to which I could afford one, I'm looking for one for my Galaxy S7. So, if anyone is a good at modeling (I am not.) or knows someone with this design, please send it to me.

2. Yogi

Yogi Member

Ever consider going with Octoprint? A raspberry pi and pi camera can be had for about $40. Print your own case, setup a nice little server that aside from having a camera and built in timelapse functions, it makes a handy interface for your printer.

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

What are you, insane? Some people want to tie a phone that costs more than their printer to said printer so that when the vibrations from the printer kill said phone they can get another phone.

4. Yogi

Yogi Member

Not to mention just killing the battery. I tried this idea with an old S3, short story is just look into a raspberry pi + pi cam + octoprint. Save yourself the headache.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

While @daniel871 is being rather snide about it, USB cameras (even high resolution ones) are freakin' cheap.
    I bought several for the printers for well under $50. One even supports IR.
    I wouldn't waste a phone (even one I didn't use any more) for that much.

Geof likes this.