1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Downloaded file printing an inch back on the bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jtkeyes, Jun 10, 2016.

1. jtkeyes

jtkeyes New Member

I am printing a downloaded file for a case for a raspberry pi and touchscreen. It is printing perfectly except it is about an inch too far back. It extends past the heated area by 3/4 inch and is about 1-1/2 inch back from the front of the heated area.

All my other prints have been perfect.

JT

Actually on further examination (I just tried printing a different file) and it is also printing back further on the bed than is shown on the screen, and the dots left by bed leveling are set back as well.

I think I might have a X axis calibration problem.

#1 jtkeyes, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Front to back is Y, Side to side is X (Up and down are Z)

Just so everyone is clear what you mean :)

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What are you using on the bed to define the middle? Typically most slicers auto arrange to the center (our lines mean nothing to this)

4. jtkeyes

jtkeyes New Member

I originally wrote Y, but I thought it odd that Y would have a larger area than X. It is a front to back problem, so "X".

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Front-to-back (along the axis of the bed movement) is indeed Y :)

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Was it originally printing with the model centered further forward?

7. jtkeyes

jtkeyes New Member

I am using the square outline for the heated area of the bed. It is extended past the heated area to the rear and doesn't start before leaving 1-1/2" of the heated area unused.

It definitely isn't centering on the bed from front to back.

NOTE: This printer was apparently bounced around during shipping, I already spent over an hour with Tech Support getting the Right Limit switch back in place, because it had more problems than the "Fix-it" video addressed.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The markings on the bed are decorations, frankly. If it happens to actually line up with the heater it is more happenstance than planning.

You can adjust the bed size in the software to force it to center where you like at the cost of some printable area -- although if that printable area is off of the heated bed and you plan to use ABS it really isn't printable area.

Also the bed heater will not maintain the same temperature across the entire heater surface (end-to-end) so expect variations across the bed as well. Closer to the center will be closer to your target temperature.

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ignore the lines on the bed they dont mean anything. The only way the bed knows where 0 is is the linit switch under the bed. Make sure there is nothing depressing the switch before the ned gets home (packing material, etc) if you lift the bed to check this eyeball where your heated pad is in relation to the lines :) youll understand what i mean.

@mark tomlinson your so fast lol