1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Bumpy Final layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gimpel, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Gimpel

Gimpel New Member

a friend of mine gifted me his Robo3d R1 plus. I used to use a two-up and a printrbot. I use repetier. This weekend was my first prints with it. Already MUCH better than my two-up.

Even though I made sure my software and slic3r was the same version, and even though importing of the .ini prefs he exported work....

I'm not seeing the same nice results he did. Specifically my prints final layer, the 'top' is bumpy.. not smooth. I've been playing with filament temp all day.

Then I noticed the extruder first layer, is not always at the bed, sometimes it's a little above 1-2mm somtimes! Is that the cause? The extruder Z axis is too high? I have questions.

-the Z axis offset - this is how far the extruder should BACK OFF after hitting the limit switch yes? So setting this lower or higher still won't go below 0 which already seems too high. Am I right on that?

-This printer is supposed to have a 9 point calibration, but all it does when it starts is press the extruder to the table, then back off. I have been searching for the right g-code but haven't found it yet.

Can anyone help?
    -Excited but as always, confused.
    Gimpel.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

G29 is the gcode for autolevel, it will only work after a G28 (home all axes) command. There are numerous threads on z-offset unfortunately search does not really work on these forums. You can still find them all by doing a google search and specifying the site name. Example:
    "search term site:community.robo3d.com" in the Google edit box.

Search for all posts that include the term Z-Offset

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Gimpel

Gimpel New Member

I installed and ran Matter Control and it has the 9point calibration and my prints look beautiful. But I prefer repetier. So I'll try that I think the issue is calibration! thank you.
    -gimpel

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just edit your startup GCode script to contain the three commands (M565, G28 and G29) and you are good.
    Make sure the offset specified for the M565 is what you need (you can test and adjust it as needed).

5. Gimpel

Gimpel New Member

Thanks I'm trying these settings. I find Matter Control is very slow, and yet gives me better prints... unless I need support material, and then, I can't get the material off without breaking the item.

Repeteier/slic3r is my software of choice but it doesn't produce as nice results as matter control. Even though I've duplicated every settings.

-gimpel

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Support material is where simplify3D wins. Theirs works.

Sent from my Xtreme Play Tab v2 using Tapatalk

7. Gimpel

Gimpel New Member

Matter Control consistently prints out better prints and I can't seem to be able to hone repetier any better. Which is odd because I've heard the exact opposite prove true. I wish I could get a printout side by side comparison of my two configs.

I could try simplify3d. But I prefer to just keep using matter control with better 'support material' settings. How tweakable is it?

Does anyone just have a repetier settings file I can import for the Robo3d plus?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

My repetier configs are all really old (at least two versions back). However back then it was certainly more repeatable consistency than MC or Cura. I used it as my main slicer for about 18 months after getting the printer.

Sadly, I was never able to get any of the free slicers to generate universally working support material.
    Most of the time it was simply an outright failure, other times it would work (as far as 'supporting') but not to the point they could be easily removed (if they could be removed at all).

I know some people on here have managed to get supports to be at least minimally functional so hopefully they can comment.
    I gave up on them over 2 years ago so nothing I could add would be recent enough to matter.