1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Software connects, but printer will not heat or move...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Iggy, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Iggy

Iggy New Member

Sorry if this is a duplicate request, but I couldn't find anything via search...

My Robo printer (one of the original versions from Kickstarter) will connect to Repetier and MatterControl (at least it tells me it's connected). But, I cannot heat the extruders or move the printhead, let alone print. The controller board has power, but nothing seems to connect.

Do I have a bad controller board? Or, is there some override switch that's possibly restricting motion and heat? If it is the controller, can I order one?

I appreciate your help.

BTW: The printer was working just fine for a few years. However, it's been sitting for a few months. I started it up last night, and nothing.

Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmm. Try a different usb port and cable.

If it is connecting that is a start, make sure that repetier is trying to talk to it on the correct COM port.
    Sometimes reconnecting it can cause it to move from one to another.

Geof likes this.
  3. Iggy

Iggy New Member

Thanks for the help. Gave it a try, to no avail. I'll keep searching.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might want to see what is in the GCode terminal for the printer once repetier/mattercontrol connects.
    This will tell you if it really is talking to the printer.

Geof likes this.
  5. Iggy

Iggy New Member

I've turned ACK on to monitor the communication, and when I send a command, the corresponding G-code is recorded, and I'm receiving an "ok" back from the printer. This happens for movement and heating commands. Also, with ACK on, it appears the printer is successfully polling about once each second.

Also, if I slice a file, the G-code is created and queued up. But, when I ask it to run, it just seems to be waiting for the extruder to reach it's proper temperature.

***************** Wait... something else here.... I just noticed that I get the same communication feedback with the printer unplugged from the wall. So, the USB from the laptop to the Printer seems to be giving the processor enough power to communicate, but there may not be power going to the rest of the system. The green light on the processor board will light up, even when the printer is unplugged.??? Could be a power supply issue, which I'll now test...

#5 Iggy, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes,the processors are powered from the USB cable if connected (the P/S if not).
    The steppers and everything else are only powered from the power supply.

Geof likes this.