1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Problem with models having hollow walls

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by RyeMAC3, Jul 5, 2016.

1. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

I've had my R1 for a year and a half and I've never had this problem before. However, I've been struggling with this new problem for a few weeks now and I just can't figure it out. Whenever I print a model with thin 1, 2, or 3mm walls, they print hollow. This never used to happen. They always had infill. I've always had my infall at .2 or .25 and it's never been a problem. Something has happened. I don't think I changed anything. Maybe it was a firmware update or something. But now, no matter what I do, the walls are hollow using MatterSlice. CuraEngine seems to work, but I think my prints overall come out better using MatterSlice.

See the attached image. These are 3mm thick walls, but they are hollow. Has anyone seen this before? How do I fix it? This print was done with 50% infill, and still...the walls are hollow.

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Try changing the type of infill and maybe lowering the number of perimeters by 1.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is a slicer issue. Not even remotely firmware.
    Bear in mind that the math counts :) Slicers are doing a lot of it.
    The nozzle size plays into this as well.

You can dial in impossible settings where the thicknesses are impossible to achieve with a given nozzle.
    I am not saying you HAVE done that, but MatterSlicer may think you have. You might want to take this up with them:

http://forums.matterhackers.com

Since it is slicer specific.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I wish slicers were complex enough to tell you (or warn you) when 'difficult'or even 'impossible' slice settings are used.

5. 3d_dan

3d_dan New Member

Use stand along slic3r and enable detect thin wall. I constantly print with walls less than 3mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Using a completely different slicer is the best idea since this is certainly a slicer problem.If another slicer has the same behavior then it is time to analyze the settings, but try a different one first.

7. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

I lowered Perimeter to 1 and my model still has hollow walls. This is definitely a slicer problem and has to have been introduced with some kind of update I inadvertently applied. I have plenty of models I've printed over the past 1.5 years with 1, 2, and 3mm walls that all print with infill.

Thanks.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Try changing the overlap percentage slightly, that might be the issue here.