1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Matter Control Stopped Working...!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Toro1966, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Ok guys - I can't tell you how beyond frustrated I am. I am trying to troubleshoot a temp fell too fast error (separate thread about that). As part of the process, I am trying a different computer with a fresh install of MatterControl downloaded from Robo's website.

Every time I open it up I get that error right after. I have deleted all app data, uininstalled and reinstalled literally 5 times. I have rebooted between, ensure all files were deleted, etc. It's running Windows 10 and everything else works fine.

One more hint/note. After the second or third try, I downloaded Cura - it's doing the same thing! What the heck!

I do not have the printer hooked up to the PC yet. One last note. The first time I installed this (tonight, fresh computer), it installed fine and let me connect to and find the printer. The second time I opened the program, I started getting the symptoms above. Now of course, I can't seem to install either program! Help please.

2. Is your hex fan running non-stop when the machine is on? It could also be a loose wire on the extruder or a bad thermistor.

3. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Yes - but what does that have anything to do with the software? With the printer not even connected (by cable) to the computer.

Also - my understanding is the nozzle fan is supposed to run all the time the printer is on. The parts fan is the only one that has nay control.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

He meant the cooling fan for the RAMPS board (under the printer).
    Not really the point since you are purely having matter control issues.

You might ask here:

https://forums.matterhackers.com/

They wrote and maintain the software.
    Or try another one (Cura, Repetier host, etc)

5. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Mark - but I tried Cura and am getting the same issue when it starts. A few seconds after it comes up, I get the Quit Working error.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I honestly am not sure whay would cause that. Ive never had multiple softwares have issues. Your not having both open at the same time ? That could cause some grief. Also try shutting off all other programs and unhook any usb devices and see if it comes back. Also dosconnect the printer if its connected

7. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

Do you have a backup of your computer that you can restore to? Like a backup with fresh install. I see problems all the time where the registry gets corrupted or worse a virus causing all kinds of issues. Since you said you tried on an computer and it worked at first and then started having issues makes me wander if you may have infected the other computer.
    I may be paranoid but I see virus infections all the time.

8. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

No viruses. And what I meant was that I downloaded and installed MatterControl on new - virgin PC - that never had MatterControl ever installed on it. When I first installed it, it worked fine. I closed the app, opened it 2 minutes later, and have literally had nothing but issues now. Won't run.

9. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

OK - Some progress...maybe...Looks like I got Cura to install and not error out. Now I am on the very start page. Can someone point me to which settings I should be entering it, etc. They don't have a Robo3D selection. I am using version 2.1.2 which is apparently the latest version

10. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Well dang it! Installed Cura as mentioned. Was into the program fine. Closed the program - properly. Opened it up a few minutes later and WHAMMO - Cura Stopped Working Error. I am stymied. Any thoughts?

11. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

You didn't happen to leave the usb cable plugged in to the computer even if it's not connected to the printer? Trying to eliminate a shorted cable.

I am just throwing out some WAGS.

12. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Chuck - and at this point I absolutely appreciate the WAGs! Nope, tried it every which way but loose and still no joy. I realized I might not have been clear in my earlier posts - probably was tired at that point :) So here is a recap of what, when, and the symptoms.
    1 - Having a Temp fall issue on printer so wanted to eliminate the software, bad installation, firmware, etc. So I decided to try to print using my (not my son's which I had been using) computer. It is a Windows 10 PC and is freshly built, operating perfectly, with multiple programs on it to include Office and Autodesk that work perfectly.
    2 - Downloaded MatterControl from Robo3D website. Installed the software. At this point I had NEVER connected the printer and there were no cables attached to PC.
    3 - Launched the software right after install and went through adding the printer. This worked perfectly. I closed MatterControl because I wanted to restart the computer - just for grins.
    4 - Relaunched MatterControl after the reboot and the program came up but within 10 seconds received the dreaded "MatterControl has stopped working" error. We had that error with my son's computer before so I knew that this is a known MatterControl problem and that the only real fix was to uninstall, remove all app data for MatterControl, and reinstall.
    5 - I did just that, and it did not work, I still continue to get the same error. I tried this literally 6 times and each time I searched for MatterControl on the PC after I uninstalled and deleted all appdata, etc. I even downloaded new copies to make sure it wasn't a corrupt copy. I even downloaded it from MatterHacker's site directly instead of Robo3D to try that. No joy.
    6 - I then decided to install Cura, figuring I was done with MatterControl and wanted to see if it would work. It installed fine and let me open it, but if you can believe it, the same thing happebed - once I closed the app and reopened it, I got the same error as iw as getting with MatterControl!
    7 - Uninstalled that, appdata, and tried again, same thing.
    8 - Finally, I installed Simplify 3D - SAME EXACT ISSUE.

So at this point I think it's clear that there is an issue/conflict with my PC. I do not believe it to be a virus for a couple of reasons - 1 - I ran the virus scan and found nothing. And - 2 - it installed fine, ran fine initially, and all other applications are working perfectly.

What I think might have happened is that MatterControl installed and then gave me the error - which unfortunately is a known bug in MatterControl - and then when I uninstalled it, I also searched for MatterControl in the PC and deleted all references to it after the uninstall. Just to make sure I cleared out all trace of the install. It is possible, that when I did that, I removed some windows file that is now causing the other subvsequent installs to error out. Does that make sense?

I think now my only recourse is to reinstall windows....and try again....thoughts?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Have you tried removing and re-installing the Arduino USB driver?

(I withstood the urge to type "turning it off and back on again")
    :) Seriously, try reinstalling the driver.

14. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks mark. No - haven't tried that yet, but would that prevent the programs from running or cause them to error out even if no printer is hooked up to them? Just trying to understand how the USB driver would be conflicting at that point.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They all initialize the USB ports (normally) since that is an available method for connecting to the printer.
    I am in no way certain that is the problem, but it is an element in common to all of them and easy to try.

They are all fairly different under the covers (Cura, S3D, MC) yet you are getting a common sort of crash between them.

Last possible suggestion I have is to update your video drivers. They all do 3D rendering (of the preview) and that can actually be an issue.

16. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Mark - makes sense to me and I'll try it. I did in fact update the video driver after the first failure thinking that might be an issue. I'm hoping it didn't create a further conflict.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

I reloaded Windows and then Installed MatterControl. I then installed Arduino. Seems to be functioning normally now.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Looks like you are fixed, glad to see that.
    A nice tool available in windows is the restore point. Before installing new software create a new restore point that can be restored from if an install goes bad. Just a suggestion after reading the thread.

19. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Rigmarol. To be honest I completely forgot to set a restore point. It's been so long since I messed with windows....

I'll definitely have to remember that for next time. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.