1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved First layer okay, second layer.. not so much.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dingofest, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Dingofest

Dingofest New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm having some printing issues with my Robo R1, but I'll begin with a little background.

So I bought a used Robo R1, it doesn't have the bottom cover or the micro SD slot.. but includes the blue LED lights, heated bed, and performs self leveling. The gentleman that sold it to me also included the Reprap Discount XXL LCD display but he didn't use it so it wasn't connected.

After purchasing the printer, I ordered some replacement parts from Robo3D. New parts included a new heater bed (black ribbon style) as opposed to the original grey wire, the hexagon extruder, and the lead screw kit. I promptly installed all of the upgrades and updated the firmware to the recommended (by the Robo3D technician) Auto_Level_7_17_8mm file from the Robo3D website.

Now for the problem,

After installing all the upgrades I tried printing several test files using cura and the XXL LCD controller. It seems that every file that I tried to print using the LCD controller, it would perform the bed leveling and then begin printing but the extruder was right at the glass bed just moving around with no plastic coming out. It also didn't move up at all, just kept trying to print at the same height. I tried adjusting the Z offset to positive and negative numbers, none of which helped.

I then thought I'd try printing directly from Matter Control, so using the latest version (1.5.0.6642) I setup a test square and began printing with a Z offset of 0. It did the bed leveling and began printing the first layer, which was coming out almost perfectly. Once it finished filling in the square it moved the extruder up too high and at double the speed begins to print the next layer in mid air. This happens each and every time I try to print. I even tried to print from two different computers using older version of Matter Control which didn't seem to make any difference.

I'm at a loss for what is wrong, and I'm hoping that someone here could please help me figure out a solution.

Just to give everyone a visual of the problem I've included a video link.

Thanks.

2. TomerO

TomerO Member

What speeds are you printing at? This seems very fast.
    Also, way too much glue give it a clean

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

that sounds like you possibly have the wrong firmware. Can you share a photo of your threaded rods? If you have the lead screws you have the wrong firmware. Getting the printer used is a little rough at the start because you dont know everything that has been done.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is not an R1. It is the Robo Beta
    Make sure you have the correct firmware loaded.

The R1 was the first version of the printer to have the bottom cover.
    You should have 5/16 threaded rods too (not 8mm)

Geof likes this.
  5. Dingofest

Dingofest New Member

Thanks for all the replies so far.
    So when I first bought the printer it came with the firmware Robo3dR1v1... as best I can remember. When I contacted Robo3d for tech support I asked the technician what parts he recommends to get the printer to the level of the R1 Plus. He suggested the heat bed upgrade, the hex extruder and the lead screw upgrade.
    When I asked him which firmware I should be using he told me the Auto level 7 17 8mm.

Here are some photos of the original rods and the new rods that I received from Robo3d in the lead screw upgrade. I've been thinking the entire time that these are the 8mm rods? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the original rods with the thread couplers the 5/16 rods?

IMG_20160710_122905.jpg IMG_20160710_122839.jpg

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You are correct. If you did the leadscrew upgrade it is essentially an R1+
    Use the leadscrew update firmware.

Geof likes this.