1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Still ribbing, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathanfish, Mar 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Well it was printing great last night and then i wake up to an epic failure...

Round two after work.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is almost recognizable as something so not *quite* epic, but still not what you were going for.

3. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Quite a bit of wasted plastic, oh well. The fan shroud i printed for the volcano sits just barely above the nozzle and it must have deposited a big chunk of plastic then ran into it. I guess i'll try bringing down my extrusion multiplier a bit and maybe raising my Z height a tiny. It wasn't building up on the nozzle after 3 hours of printing so i figured it would be fine. Not quite.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sometimes I think there is an attention detector in the circuitry and a hidden branch in the firmware to act when the attention factor has been low for too long :)

JoshYourITGuy likes this.
  5. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Just needs to know i haven't forgot about it i guess, haha. I'm not sure why it completely stopped printing though but good that it didn't waste more plastic. I wish i had a time lapse of some of my prints to see what happened.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Camera! Excellent add-on.
    I have one on each of the Robos (and none on the DLP, because it is rather boring to watch a wooden cabinet).
    Not because I am printing remotely, but just too lazy to walk to the other end of the house to check up on them.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Plus cameras are dirt cheap these days.

8. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Yeah I have a few laying around I should hook up. Or can you use a kinect for Windows? What software?

I realized tonight when I was installing my lead screws on my other printer that they wobble a bit when turning. I tried adjusting the set screws to the couplers and I got it close but not perfect. Could this be causing some of my problems with my other printer? Seems like if I stabilize the Z rods enough it shouldn't matter but maybe I shouldn't have cheaped out and just got the robo lead screws..

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. JoshYourITGuy

JoshYourITGuy Active Member

Another great camera program is ContaCam from http://contaware.com/contacam.html
    The default starts a local web server, you can then port forward the ports and use IPCamViewer on your phone to view your printer anywhere. It also has snapshot capability to make awesome timelapses.

11. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

A good starting point for the XY Jerk Setting is 20-30% of your print speed. I print at 50mm/s and have a XY Jerk Setting of 15 (or 30% of the print speed). Seems to work great on my printer!

WheresWaldo likes this.
  12. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I'm out of town and have a 44hr estimated print going right now at 75% speed. Should have got that camera going...

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

13. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

FINALLY, I fixed it for good. The volcano hotend was just not as tight as it could be. Everytime it would bump a small glob it would ever so slightly shift the nozzle on the X axis. I ended up getting rid of the 2 screws and using the metal mounting plate and then put a .250" thick nut on top of the hotend assembly before i tightened it down. It's not going anywhere now. I'm so relieved. Thanks for all the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.