1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What do you do with left over filament?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JoshYourITGuy, Jul 14, 2016.

1. JoshYourITGuy

JoshYourITGuy Active Member

I have amassed a small collection of the leftovers from many spools of filament, each one gets bagged and tagged with a desiccant pack in a tiny zip-lock. Most of these leftovers are about 15 to 30 grams.

Anyone else have the same sort of collection? Any good and/or creative uses for them?

I started collecting them with the intention of playing around with multi-colored prints using the change filament command on the LCD, but just haven't decided on anything cool to print besides the striped traffic cone.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I weld the pieces togather with a soldering iron then trim the extress of the weld and print robos for my nephew to shoot with his nurf guns lol

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  3. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

You can ship it to me, i can use them to print what ever items scraps will be enough for.
    Pretty easy to calculate how much filament needed to print a model these days.

If you have a question on what to do with failed prints or excess plastic leftovers etc, the answer is simple.
    THROW IT AWAY.
    It cost too much money to recycle them into filament. You will need a shredder and a filament extruder. Its cheaper to just throw them away.

Savings come from nowhere but the filament extruder. I get very good results from filastruder.
    Its painfully sow but the quality is consistent. You will also need a filawinder for it.
    $300 for filastruder
    $170 for filawinder
    + shipping.

You wont regret it.
    You will regret it only if you are handy with tools, becasue you can make extruder for $50 your self if you have the tools.
    Tool #1 brain
    Tool #2 ability to use it
    Tool #3 hands

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.