1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Homing/G28 issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by seelenamt, Jul 9, 2016.

1. seelenamt

seelenamt New Member

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the 3D printing stuff, and I've been trying to configure my Robo 3D R1 to get better quality/less failed prints- however I've run into a strange issue.

When asking the printer to Home All, either in matter control, cura, or just entering the G28 command in the Gcode terminal, the printer moves to the home position and then quickly jumps to the center of the board for seemingly no reason and auto-levels. I've looked at the wires to the various limit switches and stepper motors and I can't find anything physically wrong (aside from a bent Z-axis rod, I received the replacement yesterday, have yet to install)

This had been more of a pressing issue, as the printer would try to start printing way above the bed, however that seems to be an unrelated issue, as it now prints properly.

So far, I've tried
    • Checking the wires to the limit switches and stepper motors
    • Reseating the connectors for the limit switches and stepper motors
    • Flashing fresh drivers to the unit
    • Using Cura
    • Using a different computer
    Nothing seems to have solved it, however, now I can print again, it's not such a pressing issue.

(I have video- I would post a link, however this is my first post.)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

G28 is the GCode for home axis (one or all)
    G29 is the autoleveling command (which starts in the center of the bed).

Refer here: http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

So if a G28 alone is causing the autoleveling to occur then something is significantly wrong with your 'brains' on the unit (the Arduino).

Sounds more like a G28 + a G29 is getting executed.
    Try a different program to issue the commands --> rule out software.

3. seelenamt

seelenamt New Member

Sorry for the late response- I have now checked it both with octoprint and the terminal in the pronterface UI of cura. Typing the G28 command results in the same thing. So, what should I do about this?

4. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

When you run a G28 command it will first home the X-axis, then move the Y-axis to its end stop, finally the extruder will move to the center of the bed to home the Z-axis. Is the last move the one you are concerned about? Or does it then move to the auto-level process after homing the Z-axis?

5. seelenamt

seelenamt New Member

It's the movement to the center of the bed that concerns me, though I really can't say if it's a real issue. If I just enter "G28" in the G-code terminal it always does that- homes X, then Y, then it moves to the center to the bed to Z- which unless I'm being very foolish (very possible) I don't think it did that before.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It should probe the center to find z home then to the 9 point auto level. Is this what its doing ?

7. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

It definitely did that before, otherwise it would have never homed the Z-axis. Nothing to be concerned about.