1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Clogged Extruder R1

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Barbara Yeats, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Barbara Yeats

Barbara Yeats New Member

I recently received my printer back from Robo 3d. I sent it in for repairs. I still haven't gotten a good print yet. Now the extruder seems blocked. I am very frustrated, is there a video on how to clear the extruder? I have an appoint to talk to them on Monday, but I was really hoping to work on it this weekend.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Its an r1 or an r1+? Stock hexagon ?

3. Barbara Yeats

Barbara Yeats New Member

My machine is r1, but the extruder is new they just added it, it is not the original.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The way i have found to be easiest is to remove the nozzle, if i recall correctly its a 7mm wrench for the nozzle and a 16mm for the heater block. Be sure you hold the heater block securely and be careful.of the thermistor and heater wires they are delicate. This must be done hot so be careful. Once its loose you can cool it down. Theb use a small torch and burn out the jammed plastic from the nozzle. Before re installing i push filament through cold without the nozzle.to ensure the rest is clear.

Rigmarol likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

IMHO it is easier to avoid the clog :)
    If this is PLA season the Hotend,

Geof likes this.
  6. Barbara Yeats

Barbara Yeats New Member

That sounds terrible and nerve wracking, why must it be done hot?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Because if you tighten two different metals together cold and then heat them up they will become loose as they are heat cycled (they expand and contract at different rates). Physics :) (thermodynamics really)

So you need to heat it up to break it loose (otherwise it will be a beast to get loose). The reverse is true when you put it back on. Snug it on cold then heat it up and make sure it is still tight. No extreme torque, just nice and snug.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Forgot that part :). Defianently season the hotend. I use canola oil. I run it with all materials but it really only helps with pla.

It sounds nerve racking but i promise after the first time its easy and buisness as usual :)

9. Barbara Yeats

Barbara Yeats New Member

I agree! This is a new extruder, I think robo3d was able to print with it when they repaired my printer, but I haven't gotten a print from it yet. I was using ABS, do you think that it is possible that the filament is too old? I didn't realize that I needed to keep it in an air tight container so it has been sitting out while I waited on my broken printer. This filament is about a year old and has been setting in my filament rack the whole time. Is there away to refresh the filament or should I buy new filament to prevent clogging?

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That all depends on yiur enviroment :) my print room has as little humidity as possible and i keep it cold(65) all year around so i let mibe sit out. :) abs does require higher heat to work. Whats your temp?

11. Barbara Yeats

Barbara Yeats New Member

I was printing at 235F. The room that we print in is probably 70F, but it is not an isolated room. I I bought some airtight (vacuum sealed bags) the other day and I was planning on sealing up all my filament.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Throw the spools in there with some desicant and they will probably be fine but that shouldnt cause a jam i wouldnt think. Were you able to get the nozzle off and the jam cleared ?

13. Barbara Yeats

Barbara Yeats New Member

ok finally got it unclogged! That was a bitch! New problem, the Z axis is too high, 7" above the bed. It won't let me move it down and when I try to calibrate it, it only goes down about 1/2 inch as says it is done, even when I do a release it won't let me move it down. some how matter control believes it is at the bed and won't let it go further - how do I reset what it thinks is the bed?

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Good job getting it unclogged ! Is your z switches engaged ? That is how it knows ita home. If the switches look ok home x then y then z through matter control and see if that works for you

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, I agree. at least one of the two Z axis switches is reporting home when you are off the bed. Take a careful look at both of them.

BillP likes this.