1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z axis doesn't seem to work evenly.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by erer1243, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erer1243

erer1243 Member

What I mean by this is that the higher an object is printed, the closer the head is to the print. This has gotten to the point of even with a 1.2 mm z offset (in cura), if a print is tall enough to reach halfway up the z axis, the head will crash consistently into the print. Example video linked at the bottom. I just started using OctoPrint with the Cura engine but previously used mattercontrol for everything.

As you can see in the video, the top of a print is being smushed. Though it was flexible enough to go back to it's original shape and came out more/less even with the rest, it seems to get worse as it gets taller.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What printer do you have?

3. erer1243

erer1243 Member

Sorry, totally neglected that. I have an r1 +plus. No modifications or major tuning whatsoever and only about 2 months old.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok so the z is controlled by 2 stepper drivers. Sounds like one needs tuned. Or swap to a generic ramps and run both z off one stepper driver

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The other thing is to verify its a stepper driver by swapping the z cables and see if the opposite side is affected

danzca6 likes this.
  6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Make sure your z smooth rods and lead screws are properly lubed. Not sure if one is a bit sticky from being dry.

Geof likes this.
  7. erer1243

erer1243 Member

Reply to all 3 comments up till now:
    What exactly do you mean by tuned? It's a stepper, it always performs the same, no? Also, relative to the base, the rods the head rides on are not lopsided, no matter the height. It seems both do not go high enough.

I lubed them up. I will do a little testing to see if anything's different.

8. danzca6

There are stepper motors and then there are drivers. The drivers plug into the ramps board and controls the current to the motors

9. erer1243

erer1243 Member

Sorry, misread the comment. However, isn't what I said even more true now? How do you tune a circuit board? What is there to tune? There is no software on a driver, just a small controller and i/o.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

There is voltage control on every stepper driver (on the circuit board) that after time will need looked at so the stepper motor moves the correct amount. Occasionally they lose soke power or start failing and need tuned or replaced.

11. danzca6

Geof likes this.
  12. erer1243

erer1243 Member

I see that in the video from danzca6. I have used steppers and drivers plenty though none of my drivers have such a physical voltage controller. I will watch the whole video and maybe work on my printer a bit before posting another comment.

13. danzca6

Some more advanced controller boards actually have the driver adjustments controlled in their software, but the Ramps and drivers uses a pots screw to make that adjustment. Make sure if you are going to mess with them that you record their current setting so you know what to go back to. Also a little bit will do. It doesn't take much to change it higher or lower. I use a ceramic screwdriver to make sure I don't accidently damage any circuitry. Good luck and let us know if any of this helps.

Geof likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ask any questions you have, I'd be happy to help anyway I can. The stepper card has a small Phillips slot potentiometer (voltage control). If oiling like @danzca6 suggested doesn't work I'd head for the stepper driver. Mine needed a little tweaking after about 8 months. The first time it happened I was very lost. Questions, pictures, and the members on this forum got me sorted pretty quick.

danzca6 likes this.
  15. erer1243

erer1243 Member

I found a new problem. One that may explain previous problems with crashing and mushing. I still have a suspicion that the z axis goes up unevenly but I think the previous video could be because the edges of the print were curling up to an extreme level. Seen similarly here
    This seems to be happening very extremely. Not sure what to do. Maybe install another fan? Seems like it should be unnecessary. Maybe a slicing settings problem? Pretty tired so maybe I'm not thinking straight.

This print failed because of the mushing 3 times, and printing http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6513 failed 8 times in a row with many different settings profiles each time because the edge would be crashed into and the islands would be dragged around by the head. What do?

16. danzca6

Ah yes. I had that prior to installing a second fan. Also may want to lower the hot end temp. PLA needs to cool quick and I normally go 195-200. On small parts I even set the min layer time higher so that it will give the latter a bit more time to cool before going to the next. Just remember slower the better if you are doing a small part without proper cooling

#16 danzca6, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  17. erer1243

erer1243 Member

I use a 15 sec minimum layer time just for no possible problems, 5-10 once or twice ive done when the part is extra tiny. I will lower the hotend temp. I usually use 210 as it's default in Cura and mattercontrol slicing. Installing a fan though can't be that hard. Also the fan that came with the printer came with shot bearings. Every time I start a print up, the fan GRINDS louder than every other sound the printer makes combined for about 1 minute. It settles afterward however, and as far as I can tell doesn't affect its cooling performance.

18. erer1243

erer1243 Member

I will probably just install a dual fan mount. I have an electronics store 10 mins from here that sells those fans for $1 a piece. I will just buy 2 new ones and print the dual fan stuff tomorrow. I don't mean to knock Robo3d or any companies/people that make this stuff, it truly is very cool and complex, I just think its funny how much upgrading and stuff is practically necessary in some cases. I feel like $800+ should guarantee spot on performance with issues like the curling that can't be broken through shipping or something. I will do some more investigation into the z axis problem, maybe post a new post later if I find it to be more than a suspicion. For now I'll just mark this solved as I don't really have any solid proof that there's an issue. Also, if there's any especially good tutorials on the forum for the dual fan mount, I would appreciate a link to them if either of you have it on hand. Otherwise I can just look on thingiverse and youtube. Thanks!

19. danzca6

That could be your problem then. If you have a parts coupling fan that is on the fritz, then just replacing that could help. I used this mount for my second fan.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:720018

@Mike Kelly has a lot of great upgrades out there. I just got some connectors from Amazon and made a Y adapter so that I could plug each fan on independently if needed. There are also fan ducts out there you could add. I personally don't use them.

Here's a video to help with wiring. Marcus has some nice fan ducts as well. Always options.

As for printers coming perfect, between cheap electronics, shipping, and general qa you get the luck of the draw sometimes. Good thing is these things print their own upgrades and the electronics are cheap.

Good luck and let us know if you needed any more help.

Geof likes this.
  20. danzca6

Another great investment is an LCD controller. I use the XXL. It's great for being able to adjust on the fly for things like print speed. It's good if you get printing a part that has a tricky spot that you need to slow things down a bit for. Very useful tool.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.