1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Ultimate Hardware Upgrades

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by deuel18, Aug 5, 2016.

1. deuel18

deuel18 Member

Greetings everyone,

So I'm thinking of updating my Robo3D R1 (2nd version, not the latest one) and thought of a complete renovation. Here is a list, though I'd like to receive as much input as possible with recommendations.

Upgrading Z lead screw (website's parts)
    Upgrading the heated bed (website's parts)
    Upgrade for Z-rod rail - any recommendation?
    Changing the X carrier for easy extruder swap - any recommendation?
    Complete change of wires and wiring system - going for Thomas Sanlanderer's advice
    Complete change of Y linear rail - any recommendation?
    Complete change of 3D printer's housing to minimal footprint but sturdy - any recommendation?
    Replacing all end stops - any recommendation?
    Changing Lite6 to Full V6

Thanks guys

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

You may want to take a minute to price check doing that vs. doing what I did and just getting this printer and shit-canning the Robo when it finally died.

EDIT:

Actually, they've come out with a newer version with some design improvements for the same price I paid for mine.

Get this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=107&cp_id=10724&cs_id=1072403&p_id=15711&seq=1&format=2

It's out of stock until 9/14, but that price for the build space and other specs make it a pretty sweet printer.

Also: Steel frame, not bullshit plastic or acrylic! Integrated touch screen controls (no more bullshit PC tethering or having to modify the firmware to have a functioning touch screen)!

mark tomlinson and deuel18 like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, the MonoPrice printer is a good printer (they have several and all are decent -- which is why they are often on backorder).

4. daniel871

The fact that the printers at Monoprice get so many "Holy shit guys, this printer is incredible for the price point!" posts on Reddit and various Facebook 3d printer groups probably helps that as well.

5. deuel18

deuel18 Member

MY GOD that printer looks too hot for its price though I'm assuming its build volume is expandable?

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You could certainly lengthen the build plate.

plus "1 year replacement warranty, we offer a 30-day money back guarantee"

7. daniel871

There are mods out there to extend the Y-axis and Z-axis, but the X-axis would be a little problematic to extend because of how it's squared up (similar to how people have made "beast" extensions of the Robo with some success, nobody screws with the X-axis too much).

The problem with extending build areas much further than the printer I linked is that you start to get stability issues if you don't radically bulk up on the size of the framework pieces (or get comfortable with the idea of drastically slower printing speeds, like 25-30% reductions for every inch of extension).

This next bit is the truly important part though.

8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Monoprice also has pretty good sales from time to time. I bet for Labor Day they will have another 20% off sale and then you are getting a great deal on an entry printer.

All the things you want to change is pretty much just starting from scratch. It will no longer be a Robo other than maybe some spare parts. Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole of upgrades you are talking about, it just won't make good financial sense to sink that much money into it.

9. deuel18

deuel18 Member

I agree, instead of upgrading, might as well buy a new 3D printer with all features in it.

10. deuel18

deuel18 Member

That's what I'm worrying about thats why I'm looking for a frame replacement.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi deuel what size print space are you trying to get ? I'd like to offer some opinions or thoughts on your list vs suggesting throwing a good one in the trash and buying a different one like some have done, if you want to chat about that still.

12. deuel18

deuel18 Member

I'm trying to get a 10"x10"x10" print much like Printrbot Metal Plus.

13. danzca6

Only a crazy person would throw a good printer in the trash. :) So you can raise the Z to 10". My buddy Pergo on Thingiverse made his Y axis 330mm. The X would still be 9" though.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1154745

deuel18 and Geof like this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You can extend the y and z no problem and pretty cheap, as others have stated extending the x is problematic. If you must have that extra space in the x I'd suggest ditching the body all together and using an aluminum plate. If your going to do this I'd use your r1 to make the parts for a reprap of your choosing :)

15. danzca6

Going bigger I would also suggest ditching the 8mm rods. Go at least 10mm. Maybe even 12mm on the Z.

deuel18 and Geof like this.
  16. danzca6

BigBox is open source and designs are available. That gives you 12x8x12. Lulzbot 6 is open as well and gives you 11x11x9.8. Plenty of big printer plans out there to reference if you need to go big. What I like about the BB is that with such a big bed, I would rather see it not going back and forth and have to fight that weight to speed issue. Just having it lower will give you better quality I think.

17. deuel18

deuel18 Member

That's what I was thinking too. Or I could turn to these maybe http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-linear-rail/
    Although I'll have to redesign things around a bit.

18. deuel18

deuel18 Member

Or i could use the same body and extend the Z-rail placements, add longer rails for the X-Axis and rebuild the extruder carriage for extra space.

Geof likes this.
  19. deuel18

deuel18 Member

Nice, that's a good start. Maybe I could also put the Z-Lead screw motors above the black middle plate or something similar maybe?

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't follow what you mean anpbout mounting the steppers above the plate?