1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Prints sticking to bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ricjin, Aug 8, 2016.

1. ricjin

ricjin New Member

After I'm done printing, my prints are stuck to the glass and it takes a lot of effort to remove them with the spatula. I'm afraid I'll break the glass each time. I'm using hair spray.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. A few suggestions is

raise your z offset some. What does your first layer look like ?what is the temp on your heatbed ?
    Are you letting the bed cool all the way down ?

Edit: and welcome to the forum!

3. ricjin

ricjin New Member

I'm using default setting and don't even know how to raise the z offset. First layer looks normal. temp is 50 degrees. yes, letting it cool down all the way before removing.

It's weird but it's like the printed object is glued to the bed and it's very hard to remove.

Thanks for your help!

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to learn as this is critical.

Not sure what slicer you are using but normally it is in the startup gcode section,.
    MatterControl docs are over here if you are using that (I don't):

http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Main_Page

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmmm its possible if your first layer looks good that youll have better results trying to remove the print with the bed still warm.

Typically the issue is it wont stick so bear with me. But in order to try
    1. Try to remove with bed still warm

2.use less hairspray

3.lower bed heat (possible to hot is trying to keep that first layer melted causing you issues, i dont recall your settings)

4. Raise z offset, i can help you with that with more information like what slicer and the such.

6. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

My first print was stuck to the build plate so well I really thought I'd done something wrong to the point of fusing my printed object to the build plate. LOL.

Once I learned how to get the object off it became routine to a degree.

If your first layer is very very thin you need to back off the nozzle on the initial first layer. This is controlled by the up and down or "Z" movement of the nozzle.

Matter Control (I do use it and am still learning) has a couple of ways to adjust this. Read up on it in the manual and start adjusting in small increments and print test objects that don't take hours to print.

If you are using an adhesive on your bed like hair spray or glue stick, back off on the amount you are using or try it with no adhesive if you are using PLA. I use hair spray myself but only a small mist.

I'm no expert, I'm new as well. It's nice to have fellow new guys to journey with!!!

7. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

If possible (depending on the part), I give it a nice whack with the handle of the scraper that comes with the Robo. This way it does not affect the bottom of the print by trying to pry it off the bed.

Also if its sticking too well with Hair Spray, try Elmer's Washable Glue Stick (which is what I use) or try printing with nothing at all. Might try lower bed temp, or turn it off completely.

I can't say I have ever had a problem with my print sticking too well, but it sure does suck when it doesn't stick or breaks loose.

8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I've heard of PETG chipping the glass when removed, but not PLA. Normally PLA comes of fairly easy depending on its footprint on the bed. So I don't think you will break the bed trying to remove it. Like the guys mentioned above, a few tabs with the handle of the scraper or a bit of a "poke and twist" of the scraper blade at the base of the object should do it. Be cautious about trying to take it off with the bed too warm. I did that and it warped the part in the corner I pried at it.