1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Nozzle is too far from the bed following the auto leveling procedure

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Connor Williams, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Connor Williams

Connor Williams New Member

My printer (Robo 3D R1+, purchased in early June) has been down for a few weeks now and I cannot seem to figure out how to fix my issue. For some reason, my extruder assembly stopped going low enough to the print bed after the auto leveling program is run. Since the nozzle is too far from the build plate I cannot get anything to print.
    I have tried:
    - Manually turning the lead screws right before it starts printing
    - Removing the nozzle assembly and putting it back on
    - Changing the Z-Offset in MatterControl
    - Using Cura and setting a Z-Offset
    - Flashing the new firmware update to my Arduino board in my printer

None of these things have seemed to make any sort of difference what so ever. I work full time so I do not have time during the day to call the support line before they close. I have been very frustrated with this issue and if anyone has any suggestions on how to get me printing again, they would be very helpful.

Thank You!
    - Connor

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Can you save the gcode to a file? If so, open it up with any text editor like notepad++ and search for M565. I want to know what that line says. Something is telling me the correct gcode isn't being dry for the z offset. What else have you done to the printer in the processes of troubleshooting out when you first got it? Have you done anything with the firmware? When it does the homing of the z does it actually touch the bed? What about auto leveling? Does it touch at Sol 9 points or does it not hit the bed at some of them?

3. Connor Williams

I opened the gcode in notepad and it shows "M565 Z-1;" as for other things I have done to the printer: I have only tried removing the nozzle and aluminum block that the nozzle screws into and threaded it back on. Other than that the only other thing I have done is flash the newest firmware update to the printer board but I am not sure if it worked correctly. When it does the homing, it touches the bed at all 9 points but when it goes to start the print it is way too high to lay plastic down. I will try to get a video of it and post it to the thread somehow.
    Thanks.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Connor Williams that -1.0 might be too much, more negative means further up and away from the bed. Yes it is counter-intuitive.

5. danzca6

Can you confirm which firmware you used? Just want to make sure if you are using something like the release candidate of the latest Marlin or was this a Robo supplied firmware (if so which one).

6. Connor Williams

This might be a stupid question, but how would I got about actually changing that offset? I am used to using the Ultimaker 2+ where you would change that manually with the machine, so I am not quite sure how to do it with this machine!

7. Connor Williams

I am using the latest Robo supplied firmware "R1+ Firmware V2." The update failed for some reason when I tried to update it using the hex file for mattercontrol. So I flashed the board using arduino software.

8. danzca6

Best to always do the firmware update using the arduino files and not the hex. If you have the R1+ without couplers on connecting the Z leadscrews to the motor, then I would also suggest you stick with the Leadscrew upgrade version of the firmware. That is the V1 of the firmware they used to have for the R1+. I don't care for what they did with V2. No value to you really and I have heard of others having issues after using it and reverting back to the leadscrew upgrade version solved their issues. Now also make sure after you successfully load the firmware that you send M502 followed by M500 in the printer terminal window in your slicer. That is MatterControl or Cura or whatever. That makes sure the EEPROM is properly reset.

Geof likes this.