1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Just got my ROBO

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by jsam, Aug 15, 2016.

1. jsam

jsam New Member

Hi everyone, I just got my ROBO R1 Plus last Friday and am really excited to put it to task.
    I got the Hobby pack so any advice on using the wood filament is appreciated.

- Jon

Geof likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Welcome!

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. You might want to get a bigger nozzle size for wood filament. Maybe a .5 or .6. With that, you might want to get a hardened nozzle as well since some of the filled filaments can be abrasive and wear down a brass nozzle. Any nozzle made to fit the E3D V6 works with the Hex hotend as well.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the group!

6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

They may also want to make sure to adjust slicer settings to really minimize the amount of retraction/dwell time of the filament in the melt zone, because wood-filled filaments are particularly prone to giving you the mother of all clogs if you ever have it stay in the melt zone long enough for the wood fibers to dry out and start cooking.

danzca6 likes this.
  7. jsam

jsam New Member

Thanks guys. I've looked at the threads about printing with wood filament. Kind of makes me feel strange that Robo sold me wood filament in the hobby package if printing it would require a different type of nozzle. Since it's Robo's brand of wood filament would it be designed to work better in the stock nozzle that came with my machine? I'd hate to think the filament they sold me could trash my nozzle and wonder if they should change that package to include two spools of PLA instead of he wood.

8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I just checked their filament http://store.robo3d.com/collections/filament-exotic/products/natural-wood-pla?variant=6393318275 and I think this is what you have correct? If so, yes it is PLA infused with saw dust much like the other wood filled pla's out there. So you do need to take caution when using it for making sure you are not allowing it to dry up inside of the nozzle and give you a nasty clog. You may want to get some extruder cleaning filament to have on hand. You can run some of that through every so often to give yourself a little insurance. I know you said you are purging with regular PLA after wood prints and that will help. You are correct in saying that Robo should give a little more instruction about printing with exotics if they are supplying it with printers since I am sure more often than not these are going to customers that are new to 3d printing.

https://printedsolid.com/products/extruder-cleaning-filament

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

10. jsam

jsam New Member

Thanks for the added info everyone. I'm planning on getting the Smart LCD controller from printed solid so I'll add some of that cleaning filament too. After I get a little more experience I'll look at getting a hardened nozzle.