1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer not printing first few layers or out line

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Qaytin, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Qaytin

Qaytin New Member

I recently installed a new hot end of my 3D R1 plus and everything seems fine except that it doesn’t print the outline nor the first few layers of the item that I am printing. The item is one of my own design and I printed many times before that’s how I know that it’s not printing the first few layers. I printed two of the calibration boxes and according to my calibers they are both .378 “high if that’s helps and the printer didn’t print out the outline ether. As far as I can tell it touches all the points on the printer bed when it’s starts to print.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a slicer setup issue. I can't see how changing an extruder would skip the skirt and layers

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Is the bottom still solid on the part or does it go straight to infill? Are you using Matter Control? Is the part starting below the bed line in the slicer software?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

How many solid bottom layers ? Print offset easily could have changed enough to reqyire an offset tweak as the others have stated.

6. Qaytin

Qaytin New Member

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. Yes I am using Matter control and the bottom is solid but on one of the boxes you can see the infill. All so Z offset is set at 0 mm and what should it be set at?

7. Qaytin

Qaytin New Member

I set the Z offset to 1 mm then printed anther calibration box and I got the out line but the bottom of the was not solid. Changed the Z offset .5 mm printed the box again and got no out line and the bottom of box only some what solid. Next I will try 1.5 mm see what that does.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your on the right track! Sorry for the delay. Matter control is a bigger number is further from the bed, -1.0 is 1mm closer to the bed (sounds like you are to close so your positive numbers are the right way). All offsets are different so you have to experiment like you are to find yours

9. Qaytin

Qaytin New Member

Thanks I will keep playing with it

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Qaytin how did you get along ? Up and printing ?