1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Y-Axis slipping

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PropLord, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PropLord

PropLord Member

I'm new to the 3d printing world and I got my Robo 3d Refurbished model a couple of weeks ago.

I'd like to say it's been great, but I had a lot of issues right off the bat. Most of it was Z-axis issues, but that is fixed now. My Y-belt was broken but they sent me a new one immediately.

I've had a couple successful prints so I started doing larger models. Come to find out, the printer keeps moving my print either forwards or backwards a layer or two.

Frankly, it's driving me nuts. The material costs doesn't concern me, it's after my job has been going for 8 hours and it randomly decides to push a layer wherever it please. :mad:

I've read at least 10 threads around the web, and I don't know what to do. I've tightened my screws that hold the Y-belt in place, made sure nothing was around the print bed, and I still have issues, seemingly around the same area.

What can I do? Do I need to tighten the Y-Belt by a tooth or two?

X-axis runs just fine. So long as it has oil in the rails.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This pictures do not seem to show a slip on X or Y. Looks more like layers separating/splitting.
    Maybe a picture from a different angle?

If it is slip on the Y it is not always the belt. It can easily be a loose drive gear on the Y motor. Make sure the set screw is tight.

Geof likes this.
  3. PropLord

PropLord Member

I'll check the screws. I also tightened the belt by 1 tooth.

It's definitely moving forwards and backwards. It doesn't have too hard of a time with layers sticking to each other so long as there is something to print on, it doesn't get caught on a snag, and it is hot enough. I run my printer around 212-213 C.

Also, nearing the end of this semi-sphere, it decided to add something entirely different to the top. It's supposed to be a completely round sphere (when assembled). I have no idea what happened there.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Too hot...probably

Well, that is not entirely true :)

It is too hot, but not the extruded filament, rather the previous layer.
    You have to have a layer cool enough that the next layer doesn't mess it up.

Slow down the overall speed or (if you slicer supports it) set a minimum print time for a layer (e.g. 60 seconds) and then on smaller layers it will slow itself down to allow cooling.

Otherwise new layers disturb/distort the previous one.

5. PropLord

PropLord Member

I'll try that out too.

What causes the entire job to shift though? I'm sure you know WAAAY more than I do, so I'm not questioning your knowledge :) so thank you! I'm just curious as to why it continues to print perfectly fine on top of the messed up layer, as if it is at the correct coordinates.

I would assume that layer alone would be wonky and it would print the rest of it like normal.

Does it just get stuck at some point and throw off the torque of the Y-motor and confuse it?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is the belt skipping a tooth or the drive cog slipping on the motor shaft.

Remember that there is no position sensor (other than the home switch) so once it leaves the home position all positions are assumed/calculated. If something slips or skips it has no way to know (until it goes back home).

PropLord likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nah, question everything :)

The only difference with any of us is how much we have used the printer. There is not a real cheat-sheet where you can say with certainty that symptoms A,b, c mean that X is wrong. At least not in most cases. You often have to experiment by eliminating one possible cause at a time.

PropLord likes this.
  8. PropLord

PropLord Member

I know it's been a while since I last posted.

It was indeed the Y-Belt. I tightened it by 1 tooth and I haven't had a problem since. I've had stuff go for 18+ hours without any hiccups.

Thanks for the advice guys!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

11. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

OK but they haven't affected me yet but will watch out for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.