1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Print Bed Movement

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PunkRocketScience, Sep 7, 2016.

1. PunkRocketScience

PunkRocketScience New Member

Hello all-

New user here, under the tutelage of a much more experience user. That said, I've got a small issue that I hope doesn't lead to a larger one that my mentor doesn't know the answer to.

When the R1+Plus that I just got is running the auto-leveling cycle before printing it tests the front and middle sections with no issue, but when it moves to the back row of test spots, the bed slams into the rear position very hard with a bang. This doesn't seem right and I'm sure will cause significant wear and tear. The only time that it does this is in the auto-leveling cycle and I have had no issues with print quality.

I had the issue with MatterControl and it is doing the same thing with Simplify3D, so I suspect it is a hardware issue and not a software one.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Either the bed size is specified in the software incorrectly (it thinks the bed is larger than it is) or there is something getting in the way of the bed travel. Usually it is the latter and there are some cable bundles under the bed that might need to be repositioned.
    Lift the bed and check (held down by magnets)

Geof likes this.
  3. PunkRocketScience

Thanks for the quick reply Mark! I will check under the bed tonight and let you know what I've found.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Have fun!
    The only position that the printer knows for sure is HOME (on any Axis) and the rest is all software driven.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

there is a clamp on the back right of the bed rail (plastic bit) and the clamp can twist and hit the black middle plate that everything bolts to. Check that the ribbon cable clears the middle plate with the power off and the bed lifted as @mark tomlinson suggested and you should be good. So far thats been the only issue I've encountered with the bed "crashing". while you have the bed up it would be a good time to remove the set screws on the stepper motor for the bed and add some loctite and lock it down so it doesn't come loose on you :D

6. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my brand new Robo. It turned out to be the ribbon cable was not pulled all the way free. It was tucked in for shipping and when I pulled it out for the first time I didn't pull it out far enough.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. PunkRocketScience

Thanks for the extra tips! In the short time between prints yesterday, I lifted the bed, but didn't see anything under there. Will check the cable and look for the clamp tonight... It should have finished printing the part I was working on today while I'm at work.

Geof likes this.