1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Need to buy a pack of thermistors

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Doug Caggiano, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Doug Caggiano

Doug Caggiano New Member

Hi all,
    This seems kind of ridiculous to post but where can I buy a pack of thermistors? My printer will just stop after a few minutes, sometimes with no error, and from what I am reading, people are replacing heaters and thermistors. Since the parts page on ROBO 3d seems sparse, does anyone else have a good source?

Thanks!
    Doug

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Amazon is a good source. Do you have the cartridge style thermistor?

3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

#3 Rigmarol, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    danzca6 likes this.
  4. Doug Caggiano

Doug Caggiano New Member

Hmm, those are the heaters. I did buy those and it seems to work. However, I still need to replace the thermistor. Maybe I should message support unless you have any other suggestions.

5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

6. danzca6

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, and until someone who has one can find some replacements that match the rest of us are guessing :)

8. danzca6

Well if you do have the cartridge style, I believe that the E3D cartridge thermistor will work as well. About $5 and you would just need to change the firmware to thermistor type 5. Talking with Tim or Matt they mentioned that with the newer E3D V6 blocks you can just plug in the R1+ thermistor and heat cartridge without switching to the E3D ones because the holes are all the same. Just a thought.

http://www.filastruder.com/collecti...o-cartridge-style-upgrade?variant=20942512644

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good information :)
    Hopefully someone who does it can confirm this (but I agree it looks like a drop-in).

10. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Just bought an E3D and I am intending on using the stock Robo thermistor and heater, that said, I can probably check when I install it and put the E3D one in the stock hex end and see if it works/fits as it should. Probably be a week or two before I can get to it thought.

Rigmarol, mark tomlinson and danzca6 like this.
  11. Doug Caggiano

Doug Caggiano New Member

I'll be glad to wait. I guess, worst case scenario, I can upgrade to the E3D. Thanks for trying all!

12. danzca6

I think @Toro1966 I'd working on this now if you are wanting confirmation, but I think you will be good.

13. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Yup. Hopefully get the switch done this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Hey guys - stock thermistor from Robo - WILL NOT - work with the new E3DV6 cartridge style hot end. The problem is that the grub screw that retains the thermistor is directly in the middle of the heaterblock. So if you tried to put the stock thermistor in, it is too short to reach the thermistor and hold it in. The E3D thermistor is a longer cartridge thermistor that goes the width of the heater block.

Printing a couple of more parts but then will hopefully be getting going tomorrow with the new setup.

15. danzca6

Really? That surprises me, but definitely good information to know. Thank you

16. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

No worries. Was surprised myself. I also have to email him and have him send me another 30mm fan. Hooked this one up and couldn't figure out why it was intermittent. Turns out one of the wires soldered onto the board came off. Can't solder it back because there is no way to get to the board/connector....

17. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It absolutely does fit. It doesn't fit as easily as the E3D Cartridge. You have to fold the sleeving a bit, but it fits and it works fine. I have installed several using this method.

@Toro1966 sent you a message about the fans. Haven't had that particular issue before, but there's a first for everything.

danzca6 and Geof like this.
  18. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Matt - it fits inside just fine - but there is no way to tighten it so other than pressure, there is nothing keeping it inside. That's why I said it doesn't work.

The grub screw goes into the middle of the heater block on that side. The stock robo thermistor is maybe a quarter the length of the e3d thermistor. Again - it will fit in the hole just fine, but when you screw the grub screw in, it does not grab anything. I have three different robo thermistor , they are all the same size.

Or are you saying you crimp it slightly so that you push in part of the wires as well into the heater block? If so, I would be concerned about the wires inside that heater block.

19. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

You have to push it into the center of the block so that the screw can grab onto it. Thus, the folding of the sleeving.

Geof likes this.
  20. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

I get what you mean now, but do we not have to worry about the sleeving and wires at the temps the heater block experiences?

Printed Solid likes this.