1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved filament will not load

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by William Winter, Sep 24, 2016.

1. William Winter

William Winter New Member

Hi there I'm new to this 3d stuff and right now I have a problem I can not load the filament into the extruder is there anyone out there help me with this problem I have fed it through the hole on top but the filament keeps coming out on the right and then the left of the extruder I have been mess with it for the past two hours with no luck Please help me.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. Remove the 2 spring loaded screws, be careful they like to shoot across the room. With that iut youll see the hole to feed the filament through.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. BillUpNorth

BillUpNorth New Member

When you say "Coming out the right and left" I'm assuming you mean unmelted filament when you try and load it... but just wanted to be sure.

Your filament may simply be too bent to go straight into the hole - so if you're inserting it straight down with it curving to the left it's likely coming out the left, and vice-versa. If you gently straighten the filament as best you can so that a 4-5inch piece has limited curve, pull back the spring-loaded thumb latch as far as you can, and then insert the piece firmly until it can;t easily be pushed further that may do it.

There's also always the possibility that something could be jammed in there, in which case Geof's suggestion will let you see it.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I find it handy to load the filament while the nozzle is hot. As I load it, I push until I see filament being extruded then I put the screws/springs/washers back in place. I screw both down all the way (finger tight) then back each off a full turn. That's been working for me and my machine.