1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Layer Shift

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gage, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Gage

Gage Member

As of recent. Namely the last couple of prints I've done I have had the printer "skip" so to speak.
    At first I thought it was just random. But it was at roughly the same place on two prints. I saw some posts about the Y axis belt being loose. Do I checked mine and tightened it because it was indeed slightly loose. However this has still not fixed the issue. The point of the shift is always the same as well. Roughly 2/3 of the way through the print. If I print the same object twice in succession. The shift will be at the same height and the exact shift distance as well.
    So I'm guessing this is something that I inadvertently changed in my slicer that does not show on the digital rendering. An issue in my octoprint upload. Or a physical issue?
    Any advice would be a HUGE help.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, a jump/skip like that is one of the following:

1) mechanical (something got in the way)
    2) electrical (something died, but in that case it will usually not be consistent)
    3) model has an issue/error
    4) slicer had an issue/error

If you can, try another slicer.

3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Closely examine all wires to be sure at that place you aren't hitting or snagging on something.
    I had issues with the ribbon cable to the bed heater. I thought (I'd have bet money) that I had it pulled all the way out but when I looked at it closer, it was hanging up and needed to be pulled clear.

4. Gage

Gage Member

That was the same thing that I thought, but I have double and triple (and quadruple) checked that there is nothing in the way. I will have to check the model and try a different slicer. I have been using Simplify 3D.

5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Are you trying different models? or the same one over and over?
    I've had a couple bad models that just gave me fits.

6. Gage

Gage Member

It has done it on 2 different models. I have tried two of each model. Model A was roughly 6 inches tall and it usually happening at about 4 inches high in both attempts. (Tried changing the orientation of the model between prints.) Model B was then only about 3.5 inches in height and once again the shift happened roughly 2/3 along the way. Same distance in the shift along the Y plane.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So the vertical height this happened at was different both times or the same?

edit: It looks like you are saying it was different, but close

8. Gage

Gage Member

In model A it was at the same point, or very close both times.
    Model B it happened at the same point exactly both times.
    I also noticed that while Model A was nearly twice the height of Model B that the point of shift was relative between the two. Roughly 2/3s up (in height) on the models.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then mechanical is not likely the issue here.
    Certainly run the models through repairs and try another slicer, but I would open a ticket with Simplify as well.

#9 mark tomlinson, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  10. Gage

Gage Member

I have, and when I am not working next will see where that goes. I was also wondering if it could be an issue with the octoprint, even though it is just a dummy program only reads the gcode generated by the slicer. Or if there is a hiccup in the RAMPS or stepper glitch.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Electrical (the RAMPS/Stepper) is one of the possibilities, but like I said that will not likely be consistent at all.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can eliminate OctoPrint by just directly printing one and see if it fails (yes, that is more trouble to do).

13. Gage

Gage Member

I don't mind more trouble. I can just run the print again directly connected to the printer easily enough. All that takes is some time and filament which as it stands is still until this is resolved. So I will run directly from my computer. Only fear I have with that is the reason I started printing with Octoprint in the first place. Computer freezes and so does the printer at that point. Haha.

14. Gage

Gage Member

Alright, well it seems it was a mechanical issue. The grub screw on the drive gear for the Y axis belt was a bit loose. The part of each print where the fail was when the axis would move quickly, and it seems that quick succession of movement would cause a slip. Just ran two successful prints of those that had failed!

Rigmarol and Geof like this.