1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Using generic RAMPS 1.4 board; do I need to edit the firmware?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by doctorjay, Oct 15, 2016.

1. doctorjay

doctorjay New Member

I've recently replaced the RAMPS board on my R1+ with a generic board, and while everything else seems to work fine, my heated bed no longer heats up. I can read the temperature, but when I tell MatterControl to heat the bed, nothing happens. The LED for D8 on the RAMPS board doesn't light up, either.

Could this be a firmware problem? I have re-flashed the firmware with the official latest release for R1+., but that didn't seem to fix anything. Might I have to make a change in configuration.h, rebuild and upload?

Thanks.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not firmware. Either a bad RAMPS or it is not wired exactly right. I assume you referred to @Geof thread on how to do this?

3. doctorjay

doctorjay New Member

I did, and side note, a huge thanks to @Geof for making that very helpful post. In any case, my fears are probably correct, I bought a bad RAMPS board, since everything else seems to line up with those instructions. Thanks

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What temp do you show on the heat bed not heated ?

Your welcome i did the writing @mark tomlinson is the brains behind the post and held my hand through it all

5. doctorjay

doctorjay New Member

The bed shows about 18.5° C, same as the extruder when it's not heating. So I'm guessing the bed thermistor is fine, maybe just a problem with D8 on the board?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

it could be. Are you using the stock thermistor for the hotend?

7. doctorjay

doctorjay New Member

Yes - though I'm using a new hotend I bought from Robo3D, so it's "stock" in that sense.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

ok. So the hotend and bed use the same thermistor type. You can swap the heatbed wires to the hotend, tell it to preheat. Dont let it go over 60 just see if it starts heating. If it does start to heat you have a ramps issue. This is a very drastic way to check and could damage things so it may be better to inspect the connections, but I have done it.

Did you install the heatsink on Q3?

Check the voltage on the powersupply to D8

be careful with any of the suggestions as they can damage things.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. doctorjay

doctorjay New Member

Great, will do - thanks for all the help! And the heatsink is installed on Q3.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No problem. Ask any questions if you have them, happy to help out.

11. doctorjay

doctorjay New Member

Thanks, and since you offered, now I've got another question:

I've installed the replacement RAMPS board (well, the replacement for the replacement). I've connected the printer via USB, and both temperatures are showing around 180 degrees. The heaters aren't on, so that can't be right. Any ideas why this might be happening? The previous board was at least showing the correct temperature.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thermistors are connected incorrectly
    Thermistor types are set incorrectly in firmware (probably not the case if they read correctly before).

not that you want to here this, but of course, it could always be a bad RAMPS :)

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That sounds like thermistor issues. Double check they are seated on the correct pins. Its easy to miss.

Edit : @mark tomlinson so fast!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. doctorjay

doctorjay New Member

It looks like I'm reading around 170 degrees on both thermistors whether or not they're plugged in. So, I'm guessing it's another bad RAMPS board, just bad in a different way. Looks like I'll have to try yet another board... maybe a more reliable brand than Random Amazon Seller.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Geof likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yea I would imagine so. you can look at the solder on the back of the board for those pins and see what they look like. shorted, not soldered, etc.

16. doctorjay

doctorjay New Member

Just for everyone's entertainment: I've installed a third replacement RAMPS board. This time the thermistors work, heaters work, in fact everything works except the X-axis stepper (which did work on the previous board). I'm starting to suspect that some parts supplier somewhere is deliberately, methodically messing with me.

17. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

ok...so where are you buying these boards?

18. doctorjay

doctorjay New Member

Various Amazon vendors. They've all been $8.99 or $9.99 - maybe I need to spend more for a better manufacturer? Or maybe the problem is elsewhere, but the X axis worked for the previous board, just a few days ago.

19. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

does the x just do nothing at all or is it making noise?

btw, I just bought this kit for a backup and the full graphics controller today from amazon - https://amzn.com/B016D6DSBW. I believe Mark and Geof have bought the same brand and have had good luck with it. Super cheap. Hopefully it all works when I get it Friday.

Geof likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I spent about $15 each (Ramps/Arduino pairs for roughly 30 dollars*) and never had a problem with one, BUT you are not the first to have an issue with bad boards. I usually stick with Prime vendors and if these are make sure you open a ticket to complain.

*I believe I got sainsmart ones last time -- they had a combo kit.

Geof likes this.