1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Will Not Extrude When Temp Is 185

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Truerobotech, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Hello forums its been some time since a post, I still lurk and try to find an opportunity to contribute though.

I looked and searched and found this thread
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...se-filament-after-heating-up.8420/#post-74760

But my issue isnt a clog.

I found this issue after setting a temp of 180, when the extruder wasn't moving i checked it manually no clog comes out fine. If i try it at this temp using cura control panel it will not extrude if told to do so.

When a print with a temp setting 184 or less it will not extrude.

Example if I set to 185 it will work until the usual flex of the temp drops to 184 then extruder stops.

If I run 186 the temp can flex to 185 and keep on extruding fine.

I am guessing there is a minimal temp setting in the firmware with the range of 0 to <185 which triggers "Will not cold extrude emergency stop"

Its not a clog I can start a print at any temp 186 and up and the issue does not occur.

Anybody have this issue and fixed before I do digging through the firmware?

Have a good weekend

2. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I usually print PLA at 190-215 you are on the really low side of melting it.

Truerobotech likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Pretty certain stock firmware prevents extruding below 185, you would have to adjust the firmware. Why so cold?

Truerobotech likes this.
  4. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Yep 190 pretty low and pushing it but even the manuf RigidInk recommends 180 - 210. All the benchys I have tested thus far are screaming to be printed lower. Im on my seventh benchy and even tried an obnoxiously high min layer cooling time it helped but still not enough.

210 saggy and popping
    205 same but less so
    200 ""
    195 ""
    190 ""
    188 is better but it really wants even less

Thanks for the reply

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah gotya. Never printed with their stuff, but yes firmware change, just don't forget otherwise you'll grind other filaments

Truerobotech likes this.
  6. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Thanks Geof, figured it might be firmware but didnt want to have to dive in there unless I was sure. Now I just have to remember the last one I installed :)

Appreciate the replies everybody I'll find the line fix test if all good Ill update the changes in here for the next person who runs in to this.

7. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Here is the line in the firmware, I could find any others. Ill be testing this evening so will update is successful.

#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 175

Im dropping mine to 175, ill just be very careful in building/selecting my filament profiles to avoid trying to push a high req temp PLA :)

mark tomlinson and danzca6 like this.
  8. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Marking this one solved by changing the "#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 185" line to 175 and uploading the firmware I can print just fine at a lower temp. 180 is running pretty well.

Also side note when updating your firmware save some headache and be sure to have Arduino 1.0.6 installed. Otherwise you may see a variety of compiling errors in newer versions. 1.0.6 worked first shot no issue and no special libraries or changes needed to the sketch.

Rigmarol likes this.
  9. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Just an fyi on that. If you look at the comments at the bottom of the Robo firmware page, you will see my post about how to get the newer arduino versions to work. An old struct name in the firmware called fpos_t interferes with a global arduino library. So renaming that to filepos_t using a global search and replace in the sketch clears that up. Wish @ROBOLabs or someone would update the downloads. All the newer official Marlin firmwares use filepos_t for that struct name.

Truerobotech likes this.
  10. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

@danzca6 Awesome thanks for that I will stash that knowledge for future!