1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved First layer not joining perimeter and later layer fethering

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CJH, Oct 21, 2016.

1. CJH

CJH Member

Hi Guys,

I had this problem for a while now. If you have any idea on how to solve this problem please let me know.

The first problem is on the first layer, sometimes the internal extrusion (45 degree diagonal lines) does not get in touch with perimeter on the left side and only on the left side. So the final print sometimes it's easy to peel of the perimeter lines.

And then, the second layer has a lot of feathering occur and then the problem subside until about 1mm height then the subsequent layers are smooth. This create some hollowing holes between the first layer and subsequent 10 layers or so.

I am attaching the photos for the problem printing the calibration cube as an example. I am using 210C and 60C. PLA material. Using Matter Control. Mostly default setting.

Thanks, CJ firstLayer.jpg secondLayer.jpg 8thLayer.jpg FinishedPrintExample1.jpg FinishedPrintSide.jpg

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That first layer issue is the z offset. Your to high off the print bed from the looks of it

#2 Geof, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I agree, the filament is pressed down and flat on a good first layer (really all of them). Yours are still rounded so they are not getting well defined.

Geof likes this.
  4. CJH

CJH Member

How can I adjust the z-offset? I guess I can insert some G-code as header in Matter Control...

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do mine in the startup GCode block.
    Don't use mattercontrol so can't really advise you where that is.
    Here (as an example) is mine:

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-1.0 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

In that the Z offset is the M565 and is set to -1.0 (1mm off the bed, more negative is further from the bed, less negative is close to the bed). My actual values are -0.6 on one printer and -0.9 on the other.
    Start with 1mm and experiment.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto to all that. Maybe @Toro1966 or @Rigmarol can shed some light on the matter control side specifics

7. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

The only place I found to adjust Z offset is in the Macros.
    upload_2016-10-21_17-59-48.png

Click on the Pencil to edit a macro.

upload_2016-10-21_18-0-58.png

Choose the Macro to edit and click edit.

upload_2016-10-21_18-2-14.png

Change this number to change the offset.
    Notice these ARE NOT NEGATIVE numbers.
    You may try a negative number but it may not be the same as other software.

Be sure to rename the Macro when you save it to reflect the changed number.

Hope this helps and there may be other ways it's just the way I know about.

8. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

BTW, I'm using Cura now quite a bit. The wife still likes MatterControl so I'm keeping up with both for now.

9. CJH

CJH Member

I am happy to report that both problems are fixed by changing the z offset values. Robo prints beautifully now. Thanks guys.

I maybe using a different version of Matter Control Because it looks slightly different (or maybe it's Mac Version). But in menu Settings -> Printer -> Print Area -> Z Offset, I change the default (0 mm) to (-0.2 mm) and the print was successful in the next go

So I guess the reason for the second layer feathering must be because there is a slightly larger gap between first layer and nozzle so the filament kind of drag across. But eventually the gap was compensated. And a side note, the finish print should be more accurate on height also. Before the Z-offset adjustment, my x, y length is about 0.2mm more than STL, which is normal I guess because of line width, but the z height is almost 0.4-0.5mm more. I have no doubt the problem will also be fixed.

Another thing, after Z Offset adjustment, I notice Matter Control just deduct all the Z value in the G code by the offset amount instead of using M565 command. I guess that would work also.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You could also have been getting 'wagon wheel ruts' where the filament is too close and gets pushed out to the side.

11. CJH

CJH Member

Hi Mark, typically what kind of accuracy can one expect, say printing a 20mm x 20mm x 10mm box? I am using 0.4mm stock hot end, so I just assume 0.2mm more is normal. But, now that I think about it, there may be more stories than just my simple assumption.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do not have a firm answer.
    These are made with commodity hardware and the overall accuracy while while good is not like SLA or DLP (where hundredths of a micron are feasible -- almost no moving parts). Z resolution can be controlled to 50 microns, but the X and Y are not nearly as good simply due tot eh way they are mechanically attached and moving.

Also your print speed needs to vary linear with the layer resolution so if we assume 2400 mm/sec at 0.2mm then at 0.1mm your print speed must be cut in half (1200).

13. B Nason

B Nason New Member

the -2.5 worked on the z offset 1st decent print in 2 days the old offset of 1 used to work just fine I wonder what happened?

14. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Could be anything really - some things that come to mind:
    1 - ABL could have just read different values. Hate to say it, but this is very common.
    2 - Did you have any schmootz on the bed where it levels or was it clean? Though no as common, if the ABL senses anything (dried PLA or buiilt up hairspray for example) while it is leveling, it can be off.

Not saying those are your issue, but I have had both of those in the past. Best solution in my opinion is to go to mesh leveling firmware. It's awesome so far.