1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Robo 3D R1 Connection lost

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Shberfet, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Shberfet

Shberfet New Member

I recently started a 30 hour print and after about 25 hours, the print stopped and said the connection was lost:mad:. I thought the USB cable just got messed up but after starting the print again, it continued to disconnect, and began saying "Connection Lost - A device attached to the system is not functioning". Is this a problem with the USB cable, or is something else causing the problem? I have had the printer for almost a year now, and have usually been able to fix connection problems just by unplugging and plugging it back in or restarting matter hackers, but this time it consistently gives me the same error shortly after starting a print. I really hope this isn't my printer breaking down from all the use its been through. I would greatly appreciate any help!:)

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just a hint here. If the print starts and works for an hour or two, it is likely not the cable. But tethered USB printing on long prints is problematic at the least. If you computer ever goes into Sleep or Hibernation modes during the print you will lose your connection to the printer. In most cases, if you are going to print anything that requires any length of time that is longer than you are will and working on your PC/MAC then it is an advantage to print from SD card instead. That is one reason that Robo included an SD card slot in the printer in the first place.

danzca6 likes this.
  3. Shberfet

Shberfet New Member

I have my computer set up so that it never shuts down while printing and it would disconnect while I was watching its progress on the computer. I have done similarly long prints before without any problem and have just recently been getting the "device attached to the system is not functioning".

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

SD card printing is far more reliable. If you have or get an LCD controller, then you can easily do this. The other option is to use Matter Control to start the print from the built in Robo sd slot. You can then remove the USB and take that out of the equation.

mark tomlinson likes this.