1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder Fan replacement specs.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David Sale, Nov 23, 2016.

1. David Sale

David Sale New Member

A little background, in case any one was wondering. I work at a technology department. We sell the RoBo 3D printer. The demo unit has a few issues. I was asked to repair the printer because I am a bench tech that repairs computers that we sell.

After resolving the USB port issue, I have found that the fan for the Hot-end heatsink has failed. At least based on my research so far I believe that is the correct reference for this fan. I did not have a good pic of the fan's location but I found a pic on the forums. Please excuse any breach of edict. See the pic I will upload below.

I am not sure of the warranty since this is an unsold Demo unit. I can not find a serial number at all on the box or any paperwork. I am expecting the warranty is no longer covered due to the age of the unit. On the box the Model is listed as "ROBO ABS 001" I will also post a pic of the label.

At some point the fan seems to have partly melted the wires right where they attach to the motor. I believe the fan is a 12v but I do not know the amps. If any one know please let me know. Due to the Thanksgiving Holiday I have not been able to call the tech support line, 844-476-2633.

Fan Closeup.jpg RoBo Label.jpg Fan On Heatsink.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is an older R1 unit.
    I am not certain of the amp draw either, but it is not much -- 100ma max. I would imagine.
    Any 12vdc fan of the correct size will work.

3. David Sale

David Sale New Member

Understood, thank you very much for your help! :)

4. Karl Bareham

Karl Bareham New Member

I was just about to make a post about this!!
    My extruder 25mm fan siezed so I ordered a new 12v one, when I went to test it by turning on the printer and turning my fan to 100%, it started to smoke and almost caught fire before I shut the printer off..
    So I'd really like to know what amps on the 12v 25mm fan I should be ordering?

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the extruder 25mm fan should have come on when you turned on the power? I've had zero issues with any and all fans I've ordered...I'd double check you ordered 12v and had the polarity correct (typically reversed polarity will just not run )

6. Karl Bareham

Karl Bareham New Member

Ah yes I finally found the order doc buried in my email and it was a 5V no wonder! *face palm*

I will be making sure the next one I order is a 12V..
    Do I need to worry about matching the CFM or the Amps? as I don't know the stock fan specs

7. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

CFM should be close to original. Something like this should do http://a.co/5u1H9Sw Also, you could go 30x10mm if you want. Just need to print a bracket for it. http://a.co/hEJ2lB3 and with that option, it will be pumping more cfm at about 5K rpm less speed. The potential is there to then lower the RPM and get the same CFM as the 25mm but quieter. Don't want to get too ahead of myself with that though.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Karl Bareham

Karl Bareham New Member

9. David Sale

David Sale New Member

Just a note. I would recommend which ever fan you decide on, look at the Tip for that fan and order the 'Socket' or 'Receptacle' also. The idea is to add the socket to the wiring so you can replace or upgrade the fan in the future if an issue occurs again. For most of the 25mm X 25mm Fans the socket you need is " PH2.0-2P " search on the internet for that plus "Socket or Receptacle.

Also if you do go for a larger size fan, look at its specs, they should state the Tip's connection type.

On a side note, I personally buy a gift card or a temporary credit card that covers the price and shipping. That way I am only risking the amount on the card. I know credit cards have 'protection' but who wants to go through all that hassle.